Yankee @ the Oak August 1st and 2nd

This weekend was a "Gator done".........Weekend! As long as the lure was in a gator pattern it was taking fish. Spin Doctors, Stingers Spoons, and Dreamweaver SS's all took numerous fish.

Saturday (August 1st) was a two trip day. We had Mike & Mike along with Mike's 2 sons aboard for the morning trip, and Greg Simmers and his gang from PA aboard for the evening trip. Both groups were a blast to fish with, and I'm pretty sure they left with soar arms. Those poor kids were battling teenage size King Salmon like champs! On the morning trip we dropped lines and were set up by 6am and it didn't take long for rods to start flying. The first few were small which gave the two young ones a chance to get used to handling the rods, but as the day went on the fish started to get bigger and bigger. On our afternoon trip it started out slow, but the last two hours of daylight was fast and furious. We fished a total of 10 hours and took a total of 24 shots. All our fish came between the 24N and 26N lines today.

We fished a 7-8 rod spread this day consisting of 3 downriggers, 2 wire divers, a 10 color, and a 300 & 400 copper. On our riggers we ran Stinger and Dreamweaver Gator Glows, Northern King Sea Sick Waddlers, Dreamweaver Glow Froggy SS's, and Dreamweaver Area 51 SS's down anywhere from 40'-80'. Our wire divers out 150-175 on a 2 setting pulling Gator Spin Doctors with A-TOM-MIK Hypnotist and Green Crinkle flies were HOT all weekend. On our 10 color we had a Stinger Gator Glow firing, but we never did get one to the boat. The 400 copper took the big guy of the day tipping the scales at 25lbs. He took a Green SmartFish with an A-TOM-MIK Hypnotist fly. He hit like a freight train and didn't stop anytime soon. The 300 copper was quiet today. The other fish boated were mainly Salmon, with a couple of Steelhead tossed in.

DSCN0075.jpg

DSCN0076.jpg

DSCN0079.jpg

DSCN0082.jpg

Sunday (August 2nd) was one of those days you live for! We had Greg Simmers and his gang out again and fished from 6am - 12:30pm. We ran the same program as the previous day consisting of 3 downriggers, 2 wire divers, a 10 color, and a 300 & 400 copper. We boated 18 fish tossing back a few of the smaller guys, and we lost 12-13 fish! Nothing they did would have helped, but it was just one of those days. They would make a run give a few head shakes and off they would come. These fish were vicious today! I mean we took 30 shots today! That is an AMAZING day on the lake! On our riggers we ran Stinger and Dreamweaver Gator Glows, Northern King Sea Sick Waddlers, Dreamweaver Glow Froggy SS's down anywhere from 40'-90'. Our wire divers out 150-175 on a 2 setting pulling Gator Spin Doctors with A-TOM-MIK Hypnotist and Green Crinkle flies. The 400 copper pulling a a Green SmartFish with an A-TOM-MIK Hypnotist fly, and the 300 copper pulling a Lemon Ice Dreamweaver Spin Doctor trailed by an A-TOM-MIK Hammer fly were consistent all day. At one point we were quad'd up with 4 heavy teenage - 20lb Salmon. It was hectic! We thought a triple earlier that day was exciting, but the Quad topped it easily! We ended the day with 6 Salmon between 18-20lbs, a bunch of other Salmon from 5-15lbs, and two steelhead.

DSCN0089-1.jpg

This weekend we came REAL close to hooking up with 60 fish in about 16 hours of fishing. The school of fish off Point Breeze right now is ridiculous, and they are hungry! Although it was an action packed weekend this is not the norm.

Yankee -- GREAT CATCH!!

There are two groups of fish out there Steels and Kings. We found that if you are on the hot side of the speed you boxed only Steels and if you were on the slow side you boxed mainly kings. Fished right next to a guy on Sat and we both had the same # of fish but he had kings and 3 bows, we had bows and 3 kings the difference my speed 2.6 - 3.0 his 2.2 - 2.5. I'm still having a hard time believing that just a little varriance in the speed made that much difference, but the boxes certainly showed it. (should of had ray on the boat)

Were you on that slow side on Saturday?

Sunday it did not matter they both hit at all speeds!

CC

My brother has had it going for a few weeks now. We first started getting it to go in practice for the Oswego Pro-Am back in July. Then it was a closer at Sodus for us on the final day.

I cant believe it even out produced the wonderbread and green dot SmartFish Sunday morning with that overcast. I thought for sure that morning when I was rigging those combos they were gonna fly. Not even a touch on either of them. Put the gators out like I had rigged the previous day and WHAM!