Genny River pen rearing project needs OUR support

KING ME

The Caledonia Fish Hatchery will not supply salmon until further notice because of concerns of the VHS disease infecting the Hatchery.The Rochester area usually receives 100,000 Chinook form Caledonia that are directly stocked into the Genesee River.

To compensate for this The DEC said that the Genesee River pen rearing project could have an extra 40,000 Chinook fingerlings from the Altmar Hatchery for pen-rearing to help make up the difference. This means a total of 125,000 Chinooks and 10,000 Steelhead in the pens.

The genesee River pen rearing project will need two extra pens and a lot more help from the public to help feed and to work on the pens.

We don't have the exact figure yet but it will be somewhere around $4000 for pens, netting, and such. Anyone who is interested in finding out more about the pen rearing project, donate money, or to volunteer are welcome to come to the Genesee Charter club meeting in January.

Anyone who is interested in helping out (in any way) for this important cause please contact me.

email [email protected]

phone (585) 747-7897

or via post/pm's here

All of us here enjoy this great fishery of ours, let's keep it going and give back a little something.

I agree; Just an idea Dave, why not have someone solicit the local Resturants, Hotels/Motels, Tackle Shops, and Retail Stores in the area for donations. It seems a small amount to ask for the benefits they enjoy also.

It's a great idea but this is Rochester, Big city life, alot of them really don't care much about the fishery or kickback from it.

The Genesee Charter Association has provided the start, continued support and funding for this proticular project.....since day one. Very little involvment from area businesses, except the help of the marina where we do the project.

A handful of members of LOU help with maintaining the pens and feeding the fish - thanks. But the project can and does need more help. Plus with the short fall with Caleldonia now the project need 2 more pens/netting ($4000), so financial support is needed. Our Clus (Genesee Charter) is non for profit and the bank account only can do so much.

We're faced with the same situation at the Olcott Pen Project. We have 3 pens now and currently pen rear 50,000 kings and 3500 steelhead, but would like to add one more king pen since we are losing the caledonia fish.

My personal belief at Olcott is, though it's hard to believe, up until 2 years ago Olcott NEVER got steelhead plants (I do believe domestic rainbows were stocked there but no washington strain steelhead). That being the case, without an additonal pen for another 25,000 kings, I'd rather see that 3rd existing pen used for the additional 25,000 kings than 3500 steelhead.

Tim

Tim,

At least you have the ear of a few buisnesses and Official people up your way -we have nodda :evil:

Does LOSTA need a pen or want an additonal one? I am asking because of maybe "stakeholder" help.

I would be willing to do anything to help. Even ask for donations from people at my work, or go door to door for a couple hours on my days off. Make up some flyers with some info on what we are doing so my neighbors know where there money is going exactly and we could have the 4 Gs in no time. Let me know what you need I will do what I can to help!

cell-585-734-8930

Im 25 min away from the river so I could do some feedings before work or after. Keep me posted

How's about some sport of an extra .50 or a $1 tacked onto the LOC derby entry fee that goes towards this type of thing that gets split up along the different pen rearing stations along the lake? How's about we you charge $2 to become a member of this board and it all goes towards it? By my account thats already $436 :)

If it comes down to somesort of a fun raiser (BBQ) I'll certainly donate my time to cook (and teach Jax while I'm at it :P;)) and would see what I could do to get some food donated in someway. Mybe Jax/Jeremy could talk to Danny boy from that HUGE supermarket that WE ALL SHOP AT and get a donation of food or money.

Anybody know anybody up near the top of the food chain at Home depot or Lowes? Maybe supplies donated! Wait my boss does I'm gonna try to get a number :shock:

We will get it done somehow I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Roadrash heres some of what I know about this. There will be a date that the guys get together to put the pens into the water, which is right behind Shumway Marine next to the old railraod tracks and they check them for any holes that need repair. Then they carry them down the walkway to drop them in. The "little fellas" are then delivered and that's when they need the feeding help. It takes about 1/2 an hour at a time to do this. There is a lady that takes care of the scheduling for this (they need it a few times a day from like 7am to 7pm I think) It goes on for like 2 weeks. It's very organized and fun especially if you have kids to bring along :shock: :D. Steve (King Me) can get you all the info and numbers to call. The help is very appreciated by all involved and a good way to meet some of the guys and put a face with a name!

• 2 weeks later...

we are having a meeting (open to all) at the Irondiquite fish and game club tuesday jan.2nd at 7pm. We will be discussing the pens, fund raising, and other issues. all are welcome to attend.

Just throwing this out for thought. As far as a fund raiser for the pen rearing project, how about a derby for the members of this board with the greater portion of entry fees going back into the fishery via the penrearing. Since there is now a spring, summer and fall L.O.C. all fish could be somewhat confirmed by weight, although the heaviest king would come undoubtedly in the fall L.O.C. Mainly this would be a donation for those of us who fish, but could give bragging rights (trophy) for a year to a winner in any of the 3 events. It could be lake wide, but all would have to be entered in the L.O.C. for confirmation. I currently support the Oak Orchard penrearing project but would be glad to support others as well. Any other ideas?

• 5 weeks later...

Hello LOU memebers,

The Genesee Charter Association website has been updated through the

efforts of Ken Biemiller and Steve Drave. The site has donation Information and volunteer contact info. We will have a lot of work to get done so please call the listed contacts with your information and availability.

http://www.geneseecharterboat.com/

i happen to know alot of Lowes management. let me know (pm me) and i will contact someone for material donations. (zip ties, rope, pvc for floats, etc)

i would be more than glad to help and this gos for other pen rearing projects too.

• 1 year later...