suckers @ waneta

i have never tried live baiting skies and i think that waneta is the perfect place to try it in the fall. bottom is pretty flat and its not that big. anyone ever run big suckers there in the fall. (of course quick strike)

I think you can still get them at the bait stores. as long as they're certified you can take them to any lake (bring the cert and its only good for the day, I believe). not sure if its exactly the species you're after, but the bait shop at the S end of Ibay has some pretty sizable 'minnows' that they recommend for pike fishing. I dont usually use them so Im not sure if they have the actual suckers you're after or not.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

good info thanks.

esox are slender body and prefer more slender prey as well as those with soft fin rays so sunnies and perch are less apt to get hit than suckers or similar shaped bait. BTW- why do you say not bass? just curious...

interesting...the bait shop I've been to sells something they cll bass minnows which are quite large.

the reason not to use those baits I not that they don't eat them just that the others are preferred to them by esox so its about increasing the odds of them taking the bait...could be the difference in getting a strike when they are in a neutral to negative mood.

Ok...i forgot the name(rd and shop) but here are the directions to where i get mine.Empire blvd west from the bay,go past culver and at your next light(few hundred yards)there is a bar and a baitshop on the right side corner(very little parking).If you want nice suckers you`ll have to pay by the pound.Pricey but well worth it if he has them.They are the best i`ve found.

Bob

the suckers i want to use a bigger than what bayside has. talked to them 3 years ago about special ordering 12-16" and they said all would have to do is pre-pay and give them a couple weeks to fill the order. never did go through and order 'em. ( went to o*#ka creek ) and got some for chautaqua. okay guys beat me up for that- outlaw musky fisherman!! lol.