Handheld GPS

Jack

Hi !

I am looking at maybe getting a hand held GPS instead of a permanent mounted one for my boat . Like the idea of a small foot print on the dash. Just was wondering what folks use and thoughts were. ( for salmon fishing) Thanks for any info.

JT

Jack I have been using an Etrex Legend for several years now and I love the little thing. At the end of each trip I take the suction cup mount right off the windshield and slip it in my pocket and put in my truck... I have caught many fish with this little unit... Dale

Jack,

I fish on multiple boats and use my handheld all of the time. Two things I strongly suggest are that you get one that will interface with your computer via a USB connection, and it should have a decent capacity memory card. This way you can back-up your data. I had one stolen a few years ago, but didn't lose any waypoints. After a while, the waypoints are worth more than the GPS unit.

Paul

I use a Lowrance H2O color unit for a backup and for a reference while in full sonar mode on my combo unit. It has the interface with the computer and you can get full charts or topo maps of all the US. Also doubles for good geocache and route monitor for the roads. Cigarette lighter plug keeps it going all day. 2 AA (alkiline) batteries will run it for several hours. I've had it for four years and no problems, however sometimes it takes a while to get the initial fix on a position. Suction cup mount from Ram mounts holds it firm to the windshield even in the roughest conditions.

Mark

40394456.jpg

SCREEN SHOT FROM THE TOPO MAPS DRIVING MY 18 WHEELER UP AROUND CRANBERRY LAKE GOING TO NEWTON FALLS, NY

I have an H20 as well. I use it as a backup and to take w/ me ice fishing or kayaking (w/ the summer way points). It's handy to use w/ the "fishing chip" if the gold card is the main unit! I have the B&W one-luv it!

Check out the Lowrance XOG. I got one at Cabelas for like $140 or $150 it think. You can use it for turn by turn directions in your car or for point to point navigation on the water or in the woods. It also uses the Navionics charts. You can also download maps for it, although I haven't tried that. I love it. I use it on the snowmobile, 4 wheeler, boat and in my car. Took it to Florida last winter too. I also have a Lowrance LCX520C combo unit in the boat and when I run them side by side, the speed is nearly identical.

I used my Garmin handheld on the Great Lakes, my motorhome to Florida, my car, my brothers floatplane in Alaska and in the woods. Where it does not work is the compass only is functional when you are moving. If you stop and turn around , it does not indicate anything, so always have a pocket or boat compass to compare your readings.