new to downriggers/trolling have questions

Hi all,

I'm in Etobicoke.

I have an 18ft rinker bowrider with a basic piranha fish/depth finder, I 'd like to set up for salmon fishing in Lake O.

I would like to see if I can get started on the cheap. What would be the best equipment I can buy on a low budget to hook into some KINGS/Chinook/Bows ... I all ready have a trolling rod/reel with line counter.

What types of spoons/flies work well and what else should I purchase to get a good start.

Sorry for questions I'm new to trolling and I'm excited to learn

thanks in advance for any help

Without having downriggers, pick-up a couple of dipsy divers, snubbers and "blue dolphin" Northern king spoons. Spool your reel with 30lb fireline(not too bad for fleas). I'm new to trolling lake O this year and this has been my most productive lure. Stop buy shortwave marine in port credit. They gave me some pretty good advise on lures and flasher/fly combos .

Geespawt gave you some good advice on where to go to get some tackle. I've known Bill & Jerry for years having run charters out of Port Credit for over 25 years. Now I'm Pro Staff for Hot Spot so I'm going to recommend a couple of 8" Hot Spots for flys. I'd suggest you get an 8" green Haze & run that with a green crinkle Howie fly or something similar. Run the fly about 18 inches behind the flasher. For early light get an 8" Bullfrog Hotspot flasher with a white glow Howie fly. If you have a downrigger then I'd suggest an 11" Bullfrog & cut bait for your deep rod. As for spoons, I have just about every spoon on the market. I run a lot of Apex in the 5.5 but whatever spoon you get I'd suggest you get the Mag size especially for this time of year. Bill knows what's hot & will be only happy to tell you. By the way those colours I suggested were my top colours last year & the year before.

Jason there are two launch areas at Port Credit. The nearest to Etobicoke is just off Lakeshore at Lakeshore Promenade where the old generating station used to be. The other launch site is right on the Credit River at Front Street South just on the west side of the bridge. Shortwave's address is 113 Lakeshore Road East, just west of Hurontario St & about two minutes east of the river boat ramp. The Salmon Derby Weigh Station is also located at the River Launch. During the Derby the launch fee is $8.00.