Mag 10 cable issues

Gotta Bite

I upgraded to used mag 10's from my easi trolls this year. I encountered some issues with the cable jumping the track on the swivel head assembly once or twice previously in the season and about two or three times then just this past weekend. I just replaced the coated cable on the one for my depth raider so that cable is in good shape and the other came with the riggers so it may be a little older. Why are they coming off the pulley more so than earlier in the year? It's getting frustrating having to disassemble the swivel head assembly and reassemble it. Plus not to mention it chewed a little section of my new coated cable already. Should I order new swivel head assemblies? What do you guys recommend to remedy this situation. I appreciate the feedback.

Hey Gotta Bite...this might not help with your rigger issues...but you might find it very interesting...check out this site"capelookoutcharters.com"..then click on "fishing reports"..take a close look at the picture...enjoy...choo choo steve

Yeah Choo Choo that's nice. Won't help my problem but it's got my mind on other things like wishing I was 15 to 20 years younger.

Dude, never mind the eye candy! I've had some issues w/ cable hop on my mag 10s as well. It's worse when they are swung out and speed is above 2.1(down). Run the cable thru the eye hook-make sure it's turned correctly and smooth, also it will help to slow down a bit when you retrieve the probe rigger. If I don't want to slow down I try to swivel the riggerback so that the cable is not running off the pulley at an angle. Good luck!

If yours has the white/clear pulley they could be the problem. That same thing would happen to mine but after I replaced them with the solid black (knot on wood) I have not had one jump the pulley.

chowder what is the "Run the cable thru the eye hook-make sure it's turned correctly" correct turn for the eye hook ??

Guys those two issues apply to my older mag 10's. I have the white pulleys so I will have to update them. The other was the I just put on some swivel mount bases and was running them at 45 and 90 degrees. I will just run them straight off the back until I replace the swivel head pulleys. Thanks.

chowder what is the "Run the cable thru the eye hook-make sure it's turned correctly" correct turn for the eye hook ??

Ed, I believe he's talking about the eye hook to hang the rigger ball off of when not in use. The cable should be running thru the center of it. The hook should be pointed sideways, not parallel to the rigger shaft. ;)

Could your coated cable be to big for the groove in the pully? If the coating is thicker in spots on the cable it will ride up and over the edge. I bring ours up at the 45& 90 degree angles with out a problem, but I don't have the coated cable ( fish hawk) .

Both the coated line and regular wire line are jumping off the pulley when I am bringing them up at an angle. I just ordered replacement swivel head pulleys for them from fish 307. Price wasn't too bad at around $10.50 each. What do I have to lose at that price. I most likely won't have them for this weekends excursion, but should have them in time for next weekend. Thanks for everyones feedback.

Gotta Bite , when I had that problem the pulleys were messed up from the sun. I don't remember them coming off on the way up but maybe yours are warped (sp) worse than mine were. If they are NOT warped then you may have another problem.

muskybob thanks for the reply !!!

Gotta Bite , when I had that problem the pulleys were messed up from the sun. I don't remember them coming off on the way up but maybe yours are warped (sp) worse than mine were. If they are NOT warped then you may have another problem.

muskybob thanks for the reply !!!

Musky thanks for finishing my train of thought- I had one rigger w/ the eye hook turned at an angle so the cable was rubbing a bit. I think the biggest thing that will help the hop on deep rigger retrieves w/ good sized weights is to swivel the rigger straight back if possible.