A new law signed earlier this month by Gov. David Paterson will require boaters in vessels less than 21-foot-long to wear personal floatation devices (PFDs) from Nov. 1 to May 1. http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.co ... 07775.html

:@:@:@:@

I have been seeing this topic on other forums. I agree with those who say its BS! Its much like the seatbelt law. :no: I am not hurting anyone but me so leave me alone. Thats how I feel about it. The Not so FREE State?

We should only have to wear seat belts if we are in a car with a wheelbase less than 100 inches, (yugo), (smartcar), (aveo), etc etc, and only during the winter months cause it might be cold outside when ya go thru the windshield :dull: What a stupid idea....guess the PFD will keep us warm somehow and we won't freeze to death :lol:

Not a bad law. You go in at that time of year, 5 minutes and you die. I already wear mine for late fall oneida trips and up in quinte. I bought the automatic inflatable ones to wear for tournaments and they are so slim you forget you even have it on. Might as well give yourself every chance at survival.

It' a good idea if you can't swim and you are likely to be thrown overboard for some reason. What does it have to do with the size of the boat. People come up missing from cruise ships cause they went overboard, and just because it is during the winter months does not mean you will survive hypothermia if you are wearing your PFD, it only means you be floating dead instead of sunken dead in 5 minutes..(good for the family and friends). If you go out in frigid temps you probably should take the common sense measure to purchase and wear a cold emersion survival suit. It's like I said why do we wear a seat belt in any car at any time. If they are going to make a law at least have it make sense, if it for safety and survival. This is more about NY trying to settle the deficit on stupid laws to write tickets for than it is for our safety.

Any way, I'm glad I have a 22 foot boat instead of a 21 foot boat cause I'll be safe if I fall out without my PFD , especially in the winter months :dull:DUH

• 2 weeks later...

Durring the winter months and up to where the water gets up to 60 degrees in the spring one should wear a Mustang Survival Suit.The Mustang Survival Coverals are like wearing a snowmobile suit,but when you go overboard the closed cell floatation will pressure up again'st your body to insulate you.The blow up pillow behind the neck coller will turn you face up in the water if you get knocked out or pass out to hypothermia.The suit will keep you warm and may save your life!

The suit could double the time you could survive in freezing water temps.

Capt. Larry D. Jones