best line for running dipseys and sliders

andre

I set up my FL rods the same for downriggers, planer boards, flatlines, and mini dipsys, except for the terminal gear. Last year I ran 12 pound mono, this year I'm running 15. Never broke the mainline, but did break a 10-pound leader off the mini dipsy. So I'm upsizing a little.

The mono setup works flatlining for nearshore spring browns in LO, too.

I use P-Line Flouroclear, just my personal preference. Trilene Big Game in 20 pound seems to be popular, especially if you troll for toothy critters on occasion.

I've considered fiddling with wire and braid, but feel like what I do now with mono works well for the way I troll. Not a lot of gear, not a lot of re-spooling, and a fairly flexible setup for the FL I fish.

waterdog

• 2 weeks later...

Andre:

From my experience I would stay away from mono when using dipsey's for several reasons. One I found the dipsey very hard to dial in using mono, constantly finding myself adjusting the tension on the release, only to have a fish hit and the damn release not pop because I just had increased the tension to prevent false releases. Secondly, I can remember when I was fishing with mono, I must have looked like those Bass Pro's on TV setting the hook, except I was only trying to pop my release. LMAO.

About 5 years ago I began using 30lb wire and its been a very consistent fish catcher. If you plan on fishing Lake O, I would suggest spooling with wire in order to combat the spiny water flee otherwise, you will achieve similar results with a 20lb braid. Keep in mind, if you spool up with braid, it is always a good idea to start by placing 20-30 yards of mono on the real. Doing this helps prevent the line form slipping on the reel.

Well, I'm sure there are more reasons, but these are enough to make me honestly say "I will never use mono to tow a dipsey diver, ever.

Hope this helps

Bob

A charter captain showed me his rigs one day. He had 50# braid with 30# fluorocarbon leaders. The 30# leaders with the clear fluorocarbon are invisible to the fish and he didn't lose a dipsey and terminal tackle all year. He used the same rigs in Lake Erie for walleye and they worked well there. He's a leader in all the contests on both lakes and claimed he saved a lot of money by not losing tackle, got fish in faster and didn't notice a dropoff in catch rates using the 30# leaders. To connect his leaders he uses a small swivel which winds onto his reels. It's not unusual to see him with 10 to 12 lines out.