Should I buy bunk or roller trailer??

ednsally

I am buying a 1989 22' Grady White Seafarer and need to buy a new trailer.

I launch out of Lewiston, Fort Niagara or Wilson.

Looking for advice on bunk or roller trailer.

I am leaning toward bunk. I have a roller trailer for my current boat and the hull gets scraped up if the boat isn't aligned just right.

Are these launches deep enough to easily accomodate a bunk?

I never had a roller trailer but I like the bunk. I think if you launch and pickup alone you will come to appreciate the boat staying on the trailer till it gets in or out of the water. Better weight distribution on the hull too.

Mark

A roller trailer works best in shallow waters or sandy and mud launch ramps. You just get the first set of rollers in the water and winch the boat straight on up. If you try to float your boat on a roller trailer you will likely get it on off center. But your likelyhood of getting stuck in the sand or mud are less with roller trailer that is used in the winch on method. Bunk traikers work well at concrete ramps or with a 4 wheel drive tow vehicle.

Just got a new boat last year, the first one ever with bunks.

GIVE ME ROLLERS OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!

I will never have another trailer with bunks. Very difficult to launch since the trailer has to be so far in the water. Getting it on is just as difficult since we get wet feet when the trailer is in far enough. Bought some bunk slicks from Cabela's, they make it a bit better, but still not as nice as roller trailers.

I'll take my roller trailer over my bunk any day. My 24' Penn Yan loads easier on the roller trailer than my 16' loads on the bunk. Like spoonfed said above a roller with electric is hard to beat. I crank my Penn Yan on by hand and its not bad, loads in about 2-3 minutes.

Grady White is my boat of choice as well! The company does not have a recommended preference with respect to trailers. They suggest you make your selection based on whatever your experience and personal comfort dictates. Personally, my Gradys have always been on Eagle bunk trailers Eagle manufactures trailers utilizing CAD CAM technology to fit the bunks precisely to the hull rakes and chines of these boats using Grady White's own specifications. You can't believe how nice it is to have your boat position itself exactly correct every time with such a beautifully designed trailer.

I do not like rollers myself. I launch alone a fair amount of the time. These boats are heavy and they will start rolling backwards pretty easily when you are launching with rollers. I prefer to back in and float mine off the bunks. Believe me, I have probably launched a Grady White at every launch you will go to! (kind of a fishing maniac!) I have never encountered an issue or wished for a roller trailer.

Whatever you decide, I commend you on your choice of boats. :beer::beer:

Grady95