wire or braided

bjo16

do you guys prefer using wire or braided line? i havent run wire i have braided but i actually have had too many issues with the braided im using. i think its the trilene big game braided. and the damn stuff locks up on the spool after it gets wet and then dries. it like gets caught and tangled on the spool so theres no drag and the line just snaps when a fish is on. ive lost prob 3 fish and rigs with it so im making sure to change that out before i go up next week. just wondering if i should go witht he wire or a different braided one. thanks.

Braid: deffinetly pics up more fleas.. If you are going to use it I recomend 50lb power pro.. After you load it up the first time, Just like wire let it all out with a coupe ounces of weight on the end. Also braid does not go as deep as wire. With all that said If there are no fleas, and the fish are in the top 70 feet, braid is more forgiving and will allow you to run a more stealthy presentation.

1st -- 50 pound Power Pro is the only way to go (I would say that fireline is junk, but then I might get censored :o )

2nd -- If you use your wire 100 times a year you will not get 3 years out of a spool and by the time you get done trimming all your curley Q's out you will not have any wire left on the spool after 2 years.

3rd -- Fleas are not a big deal, both collect fleas the wire requires you to saw the fleas off the PP allows you to twist and pull the line cutting a 30 inch glob of fleas instantly. (and your hand too if your not careful - downside)

4th -- Slide divers can run on braid as can long divers, jet divers, clip weights ect. Doing that on wire is not good.

5th -- Braid does not kink (that's huge)

6th -- As for depth I have taken fish on my PP on one side at 270 and my wire on the other at 280 and the riggers 80 - 100. I think it they go rather deep. I am not sure of the advantage of wire's weight ratio to diving ability and believe it is more a function of diameter to resistance and they are rather equal. But for sure resistance factor aside wire has a greater density than the power pro.

CC

Thansk CBish

I was going to set up another set of wire rigs so I could run 4 divers but I have two rods and reels that would allow me to run the 50lb power pro setup without buying more tackle so I will buy some line and give it a shot.

Hi !

Just started running wire . How important is to cut out the bends and curley Q's . Don't have any kinks but always seem to end up bends in the wire from boating fish and rigging the divers.

Thanks JT

• 6 months later...

Hello...new to the site, but not to trolling big water. We ran wire last fall on the inside dipsy rod and braid on the outside. I found it to be an advantage having more of a staggered spread using the mix. The wire rod was out approx. 165' while the braid lines at 250' to 300'. We reached the same basic depths, but the lines and offerings were more staggered. The lines are far enough apart for less possible tangles and we covered different areas of water. The wire produced quite well and it was quite nice not having to reel quite as much line in when changing lures or checking baits. Its also an unbelievable feeling fighting a fish on wire line if you never have. NO stretch at all and you can feel every movement of the fish. Also beware of you drags using wire (do not over tighten). You also need to be very careful how you handle and work with wire line....keep thumb on spool while feeding out line and keep an eye out for kinks (kinks typically only happen in the first 10 to 15 feet of line.) Curls won't hurt a thing. Give it a try, what can it hurt?

i used 65lb powerpro and like those stated before, its great. there is absolutly no problem with fleas compared to everything else. its just a different dive rate and you have to learn the line drop in the water trick to get the fleas off like any other mono. i like wire better though. although i disagree with the drag your thumb on the wire while setting out. new is ok but after 2 or 3 years i woulndt want to catch a loose end in the thumb while the dipsey yanks the cable. just loosten your drag, and whene your out far enough just tighten the drag enough to stop the diver from taking line while trolling.