weak spark in first cylinder??????

akitaone

could anyone help me out and tell me what could be the problem?the motor is 2002 75hp merc.the #1 plug is geting weak spark, both of the others are fine.it has a CDM if that matters it also bogs down when u gun it, but at full throttle its fine.when u just put it in gear it spits and sputters so i cant troll with it.any help would be great,i dont have $70/hr to go get jerked around at a shop

could anyone help me out and tell me what could be the problem?any help would be great,i dont have $70/hr to go get jerked around at a shop
:(

Cd box or coil or trigger or stator ;) . Would be my guess's without putting a meter on it. If per say ignition is the problem? Start throwing around the $ for those parts by trying to self diagnose it yourself and you'll waste alot more than having it tested. Even if your going to do the work yourself.

I would start with the cheap things first.Take the cowling off and put the muffs on when it is dark start the engine and check to see if your plug wire grounds out and sparks elsewhere toward the engine.Buy a spark tester in a car parts store put it in the line and see if the spark is ok.replace the plug.

As for the sputtering engine,that is a fuel supply problem.

The easy thing to do there is buying a can of seafoam, pour it into the fuel tank and take the boat for a nice long ride (1/2 hour) that should clean out the jets and other passages.

The problems you describe sound like small maintenance issues and not one big problem so the best way to go is by getting the maintenance things done and only afterward look for a possible big ticket item.

You can also go to a website called:

http://www.iboats.com.

once you are in there go the boating forums and choose the mercury forum.You can register and ask your question.Although the website is commercial these forums are strictly non commercial and they probably are the best engine trouble forums you will be able to find

I am a member of these forums and so is Longline.

i have orange spark on #1cyl and a nice blue on 2&3 the #1 cyl wont jump a 7/16 gap so my freind said.Hank do you have a shop?we did the switch from coils and even when we put the #2 coil on the #1 cyl it still had that weak spark if i got that right[*]