I run mine in auto mode. Sometimes I run the dual freq, sometimes not. Depends on depth & what I'm seeing.

Jack - Speed is not accurate nor is odometer at slow speeds. This is due to the drag of the boat at slow speed. Watch the water line at your transom. I'm sure you'll see it swirling towards the transom. Sometimes you'll see seaweed or small sticks stuck in that swirl & "hitch-hiking" a ride with you.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I just got a DS500X, do you guys typically run them in manuel gain? If so about what % is typical? Or should I just use it in the automatic setting? What is the advantage of manuel? Thanks for the help

I would run mine in manual mode. Generally from 70-85%. I would turn it up till it started to snow. Any electronics manufacture will tell you auto mode isn't the best for every situation. Also, we would run the split screen. I would run the auto range out to 200' then go to manual, and just look at the top 150'.

Rich, isn't the screen on a 500 a little small to split? I tried that with my 600 and you could barely see anything on either side with is split.

Tim

I used to have DS400X on my old 14' Smokercraft and I would spilt that screen 50/200 and it was less than 4" diagonal

here's a pic

DSCN1642-1.jpg

it was a good unit for it's size, color , 500 watts of power, my monochrome Lowrance LMS 480 which is probably ca. 2003 is no match but it came on my boat so I use it.