Reel Clickers

CBish

I know that you are supposed to turn the clickers off when you have a salmon running, but...............

Does anybody know of a reel that does not burn out the clicker when you don't turn it off. I have had problems with many different reels some pricy ones and some cheap. I just can't get a clicker to last all season. With new people on the rods every day it is necessary to have the clicker on so I know what is going on with the fish................Any help on this???

How about you scotty guys if you set your rods with the clicker on during free fall do you burn them out? I've killed several on the down stroke before I figured out to turn them off.

Thanks,

CC

Capt. Carl, in my humble opinion you cant beat the Okuma Magdas. I have had mine for 3 seasons and not one issue with anything. I have used more expensive reels and find that they are not worth it. I have NEVER turned the clickers off and I use scottys too. I might not fish as much as you but I do tend to fish at least twice a week, sometimes more. Tank

I have burnt out my penns and okuma's and the only thing to survive so far this summer are the diawa sealines. I love the feel of my okuma catalina's but 3 out of 4 clickers have failed. I have scottys' and never turn off the clickers so im sure thats my problem, but so far very impressed with the sealine's, seem to be built like a tank.

Ive burned the clickers out of the penns and okumas. The clickers in the tekotas and the daiwas are holding up just fine. The okuma magdas burned up the first week I was on vacation with them. I leave my clickers on all the time except letting out stick baits in the spring and spooling. I also burned up some magdas completely fighting kings.

What kind of reels are you using? that your burning out clickers

Shimano -- Charter Special, Takota, TLD

Penn- 320LD, 330

Okuma -- Solterra

Abu Garcia -- 7000lcsync, 7000sync

Diawa 27 & 47 SGLC

The charter special, solterra and 7000's, 320LD are fantastic reels great power for fighting fish, but the clickers break.

CC

I'm sorry, but I have never heard of shutting off the click when the Salmon is running. I mean how does the customer know when to start pumping and reeling again? That sound of the clicker is the one thing they can listen for. In the last 3 years I have bought all Sealine 47LC's, and I have only burnt out 1 clicker. I don't think that's bad! That one clicker was on a wire rod with an angry king at one of the pro ams this year. I run 7 of these every trip I am out. I also run Scotty's and run them with both 15 and 20lb weights. I set them on free fall every time I go down. So they are trucking!

My Penns on the other hand, that I use for copper, have JUNK clickers in them!

I've had some 47's & 27's for close to 10 years and I walleye and steelie fish alot on Erie and have yet to burn out a clicker and none of my friends have either, salmon and walleye guys. Diawa Sealine are workhorses that's for sure and for the money they can't be beat, I'm going to pick up some of the new LCX series over the winter I can't wait to run those.

Sorry and no intent to tick anyone off but Magda's are junk, they don't even hold up to walleye fishing let alone screaming kings, best entry level mid priced reel is Diawa Accudepth Plus, I know they haven't been on the market for years and years like the SG's and LCA's but they are very solid so far I use 2 for divers for deep water steelie and walleye fishing, they perform great, solid reel for the money, blow Magda's out of the water.

Wow! based on all this info, I can consider myself lucky! I love my Magdas...and I do have a friend that has run them for 9 seasons without many issues at all(other than charter clients bending his handles)?? of course if I ever had an issue from this point forward I would consider 50 bucks for 3 full seasons well worth it...I would just buy a new one!!(or replace the clicker) and still feel like I was ahead of the game. Tank

• 1 month later...

We have all diawa 47lc's that are from 2-20 years old and we have not once burned a clicker out. Some guys come on my boat and immediatly turn them off every time they reel in and then when I go set the rod, pull the lever back, "BIRDS NEST!" Maybe some guys have a habit of turning them off.

Sealines are great reels and the replacement clickers are cheap even if you do burn them out. The sealine 47LCs we use on Yankee Trollers boat for all the tourny and pro ams have taken a beating and like he said only 1 clicker has burnt out of the 7 being run EVERY TIME out but that was on an aggresive fish.

If you want to make the investment go with the tekotas, they are built solid, and I haven't had any issues with them as my wire diver set ups. A friend of mine runs them on his downrigger set ups and loves em. If not then get into the Sealines and buy a couple extra replacement clickers.....takes 5 seconds to replace em and if I remember correctly they were 3-4 bucks a piece?