Sandy Creek Legacy report 8-12

AM

Fortunately my father in law and myself both had today off from work and decided to spend it derby fishing this morning. From the reports it sounded like everyone was working the inside water, fishing the bait and hooks, rather than temp. We set up just inside of 110 fow and found hooks and bait down 60-80' down. We quickly boated a steelhead and lost 3 others in a matter of 30 mins. Stinger glow gators and white double crush smartfish down 65-75' range attracted all the attention. We circled on our waypoints and boated a small king on a Stinger NBK 65' on a cheater off the riggers. On our third pass the 65' rigger fired, we were hooked into a major and he just about spooled us on his first run. We ended our morning boating 2 Kings, 2 Steelhead, 1 Laker, and dumping 4 others, working 100-140 fow.

036.jpg

Officially 32#10oz in the Orleans County Derby.

PM

The family and I fished for about an hour tonight right at sunset.

We fished 3 rigger rods 55', 65', and 77' down and managed 3 Kings with the biggest being 22#.

0562.jpg

Rob,

Congrats on that beauty. Jerry mentioned earlier today that you had the Grand Prize fish. I've been waiting for the pics. Work is severely impacting my fishing time this week. Leave a few out there for me.

wow 32pluss male what was the girth and length ...just curious hope he is just the beginning for the egg carriers to follow.were the milk sacks well formed?...........the last 6 years iv spent a week or more fishing the fall derby this year im stuck with a vac. on the cape.. BUT the good news is there is a huge"" CRAFT""& "ARTS"" show in the town were staying in so ill be busy,busy,busy..AAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! hey maybe i can get a good deal on a dozen "PINK" hats..keep thegood reports comming and good job hope you pull off the orleans derby..

Nice job Rob! That's a real pig! What did it take? What part of the family is she in BTW? Sister, cousin, niece?

Brian,

No need for that bud! It is what it is. Big fish are mostly luck in a derby! Tourneys is where you find your best fisherman, or put your money where your mouth is. Motoman did just that by motoring down to the Oak this past weekend to fish.

Rob, beautiful king- Good job- Brian, I've got the utmost respect for you and in all of your past postings- But I whole heartedly agree with Yankee in your insinuation of your one post on this thread- Maybe you didn't mean it as such, but the way it is conveyed, comes across in not so much of the manner of what many of us expect from you and/ or others of L.O.U. I.M.O. -I could never find myself suggesting or conveying that one port has better fisher persons over another. For each and every one ( port) has many fine individuals who are not only willing to share any and all knowledge ( as you have willing done) with others, but can put targets in the boat on a regular basis-Thanks for allowing me and Capt.Rich to point this out, and take this for the way it is intended- That being a constructive suggestion-Best of luck in the remainder of the derby-Duane

Rick, Duane,

I'm not saying that Sandy has better fishermen by any means. All I'm pointing out is Sandy seems to be a more consistant fishery for all species (year after year during the Orleans Derby). With the numbers of guys that fish out of the Oak (way more than Sandy) the numbers should be the opposite that they are. I have a lot of respect for a lot of captians and recs out of the Oak. The Oak has some of the biggest names on the lake. Sorry to anyone that was offended by my comments.

Brian, thanks for your follow up and clarification. I agree with your statement, in that yes there are many more who do fish out of the Oak compared to Sandy. And one would think in theory that would show up in the listings as such. For whatever reason, sometimes it just doesn't happen. I tend to think it plays into the favor of fishing " virgin" waters that aren't pounded ( such as Sandy) in as much as I try to stay away from the pack at the Oak. Having said that, I know at all to many times esp. since I've been involved with youth sports that e-mails and other postings get sent and sometimes they don't come off as intended and sometimes are misconstrued and taken way differently than they way they were suppose to be. So no need to apologize, and as mentioned best of luck the rest of the derby- Duane