Dipsy diver depths

The internet is a beautiful thing but............ I can find ALL SORTS of charts out there for the depths a Dipsy Diver can achieve with & without added disc using mono, but is there anything out there chart wise that shows achievable depths using 30# 7 strand wire? besides just saying it will go deeper? or is there anybody out there with this info? any help would be appreciated, Thank You in advance, Marty

if your only gonna run 1 per side set at 2.5 setting and figure 3 to 1 ratio 90 ft out 30 down 240 ft out 80 down..opps thats at a 2.4 mph down speed. ive tested this ratio and its almost perfect actually the dypsy with spindocter witt dig a little deeper than 3 to 1 with wire so run just a tad shy of ft out (just remember every reel does not read the same ft out for actual ft of line )so i recomen a rel that has enuf backing ti gt the wire to the outside of the spool for most ccurate readings

fenceman is all wet he was trying to tell you what i said as i was the one who taught him that .....he is so bad at fishing he uses 50 lb high vis. yellow power pro to fish walleyes!!!!!! Im working on his walleye program too!!!(its like trying to retrain a old dog.....oh wait he is a old dog)

yeah, I was just looking at the chart for mono again 175' of line out w/o "o" ring = 70' depth @ a base plate setting of 0 (out the chute) 150' out with the "o" ring..........using fencemans 2.5 ratio it works out the same & I know that 30# 7 strand wire will go deeper. Maybe if I said I was using a 001 dipsy.......maybe I should contact Luhr Jensen great now I'm rambling in code! 8)

For a starting point of reference at 3.0 mph GPS 2 setting big diver with ring 30 pound wire full spool 1000 ft on a 47 LCA 185 back we ticked bottom last weekend in 65 FOW, so figure 200 back on a 2 is about 68-70 down. 220 would be about 75 down or so.

This is on a low profile boat with hardly any line out from the rod tip to the water. Maybe 3 ft. If your running a big charter style boat add a few ft to compensate for more line out before it hits the water.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Kingnuke32 & K Gonefishin, really should break down & part with $40 bucks for percision trolling bible. I have been a small lake warmwater fisherman for life, recently been chartering lake trout boats...bad mistake! because now I'm hooked big time!, new deep V boat. When I did charter I noticed that we got a majority of our fish off Dipsy divers on wire line, a few were caught on downriggers but alot on the divers, @ 53 years young (& NO kids at home anymore!) :) I have some $, so a boat is a big investment this late in life, so I thought I would forgo the riggers & pick up 4 dipsy diver wired rigged pole/reel combos & high quality rod holders for outfitting the new boat. Most lengtth out on this charter boat was 125' & were using 001 Dipsys, most fish were at the 70-90' mark & they were coming up to be caught outside the edges of the bait pods. I know that electronics are another big advantage & will be investing in a quality unit (charter boat was using Lawrence) & I know alot of the game is knowing where the bait pods are & the surrounding "predators", but only half the equation until you know what your equipment is running. I thought maybe there was an individual out there that might have the knowledge from experience to say "while using 30# wire line w/ a dipsy diver add ....20 ' to the manufacturers chart :lol::rofl: I want it all lol. Anyhow I know there is alot of varibles water column temp, line diameter, lure drag, side running compared to straight out the back in the chute....etc. etc. etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, you can do the Ray thing or you can just let the dipsy out until you start catching fish and then stagger your other dipsys around the one producing. You do not have downriggers or down temp so you have no confirmation that your lures are running where the fish are (According to Lowrance) except for the throbbing rod when the fish hits.

I have caught a fish or two on dipsys and I have not looked at a chart while on the water since 1986. Dipsys have too many variables: Lure drag, line, speed, slow side of boat, fast side of boat -- other than a free slider it is the most variable presentation you can have and should never be considered "precision", just duplicatable.

All that being said, I had 7 hits on dipsys today so tomorrow I will start them where I finished today (50# powerpro #2 - 300', 30# wire #2 - 280')

In your situation, I would suggest a 500' copper rig, marked at 50' intervals, at least you have a pretty good idea where it is running based on line out. IMO more precise than dipsy divers.

CC

PS. The more I think about the dispy may be even more variable than the free slider. Food for thought!!

CBish is dead on about dipsy variability and remember it's a "dive curve" - not a simple formula for line out = feet down, because the resistance increases exponentially. I use the Mag dipsy diver from Walker and the 2' of wire/1' down rule works ok down to 80' or so and then it starts taking more than a 2' of wire to get another 1' down (the old law of diminishing returns)

That being said, I do wonder where my Mag diver(set @ 1.5) is with 320' wire out @ 2.1-2.3 mph( down) any guesses? What does the "Book" say?

I gotsta buy the book (Precision trolling big water edition) & then input ALL the varibles, boat speed, water temp, lure drag, line drag, diminishing results, water column thickness, flea build up, & how one holds his mouth when fishing ;):rofl::lol: , I'll buy then post 8) BUT....once again THANKS! for the input! GREAT SITE LOU!

I agree with CB, just stagger everything until something starts producing. The good news is from all the reports on here you can get a good idea where to start. If I go out and have no starting point this is how I do it. I run 2 inside(1.5 setting) and two outside(2-3 setting). I will start each inside and outside 25 feet apart. If something fails to produce in 15 minutes I simply open the release and drop it back another 25. I know it's the dumbass method, but it's worked fine for me for the last 12 years. ;)