Proposed rule change on Pro Am ending times.....Opinions ???

How should the Pro Am fishing day end?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Pro Am fishing day end?

• Teams should be required to be in the pier head at a designated time
    • Teams should be required to pull lines at a designated time

Next week the Pro Am committee will be holding a meeting to begin preparations for next year. I proposed a possible change (back to the way it used to be) in how we end our day of fishing. I have no idea if they will consider it or not, but it "may" be discussed. I'd like your input please.

**I should add that this is not the committee's idea and is not currently being proposed by them.....rather this is my idea based on opinions I gathered while talking with other teams during the year. I'm just looking for more opinions from fellow participants to see if my idea sucks :D

Current rule;

• All Pro boats must be inside the pier heads by 2 PM (even if mechanical problems arise). Any fish boated after 2 PM must be immediately released.

• All Am boats must be inside the pier heads by 1 PM (even if mechanical problems arise). Any fish boated after 1 PM must be immediately released.

• Failure to meet the pier head deadline may result in disqualification for that day.

Weigh-in:

• Upon returning to port the cooler containing the day’s catch must be immediately transported to the Weigh-in site. All pro contestants must be in line for weigh-in no later than 3:30PM. Amateur contestants must be in the weigh-in line no later than 2:30 PM. All Open division contestants must be in the weigh-in line no later than noon.

NEWLY PROPOSED RULE;

All AM teams must stop fishing and have all lines out of the water no later than 1:30 PM.

Any fish brought in the boat after 1:30 pm must be released and cannot be added to the team box.

All PRO teams must stop fishing and have all lines out of the water no later than 2:00 PM.

Any fish brought in the boat after 2:00 pm must be released and cannot be added to the team box.

Open division stays as it was

Weigh-in:

• Upon returning to port the cooler containing the day’s catch must be immediately transported to the Weigh-in site. All pro contestants must be in line for weigh-in no later than 3:30 PM. Amateur contestants must be in the weigh-in line no later than 2:30 PM. All Open division contestants must be in the weigh-in line no later than noon. Failure to check in to weigh in on time will result in disqualification of that days catch.

Some benefits of proposed rule change are:

No longer will teams be required to be in the pier head at any given time and committee will no longer need to monitor this.

Teams will gain extra fishing time.

Teams experiencing mechanical problems will no longer be disqualified (if the were late getting through the pier head) as long as they make it to weigh in on time.

This rule is easily enforced since we all have observers on board. Also, with only an hour between the time lines must be pulled and the time teams must be at weigh in, how much can teams bend the rule anyway ??

Opinions anyone ????????

if i am not mistaken the rule you are proposing was already in exsistance some time ago or at least one similiar that was again changed. personally i don't agree with your proposal! much of the strategy in fishing tournamnets includes how far away from port you are willing to fish on a givin day! weather must be taken into consideration as well as distance, hence, amount of time lines are in the water verses running time!!!! in many instances this rule will give many an unfair advantage for many reasons, i am confident that if you think about it for a bit reasons will come to mind. the rule as applied right now promotes a level playing field (in this respect anyways) and i don't think we need to change it! this is all i am going to say regarding this topic to avoid being called a nameless dolt again. there are plenty of other rules that need to be reconsidered to bring this event back to the status it once had "back in the day" and this is not one of them! just my two cents! Dave

ps... not sure how to vote NO CHANGE on your poll but that is my vote!!!!

Dave,

The first option would be the same as no change.

Everyone certainly has a right to their opinion Dave. It just seems those objected to a rule change are always the most vocal ;) I don't want to get into a negative discussion, nor do I understand your reasoning so I will just respectfully agree to disagree.

This is about one topic, so as always....lets keep it to this one simple rule.....PLEASE

Rod,

My only concern is you are putting a lot of unecessary pressure on the Observers. Now they need to make sure all your lines are out of the water by 1:30. What if you get a screamer while your bringing in your lines. Do you have to release it or not count it? Who says that it is 1:30. I see too many variables with this suggestion.

I think, my suggestion, is boats should line up inside pier heads prior to leaving instead of leaving from their dock space. Also the AM division should leave at 0500 not 0515 and begin fishing at 0530. This would allow AM to pick up xtra time fleaving from pier and an additional 15 minutes to your preferred spot. Just need to follow common courtesy to smaller boats when leaving the pier.

Another issue Rod,

Everytime there is some discussion or opinions on the Pro/Am the same response arrises "VOLUNTEER TO BE ON THE COMMITTEE", so I did. As of today,1209 PM on 8/13, I have not been notified of any meeting. I sent a PM to Paul and an Email to Bill to find out why and I am awaiting their response.

Howie

I voted for the change, but after seeing 3dfx's response I'd like to change my vote :) I HATE how people run to other areas of the lake when fishing the pro am. It's called the OSWEGO pro am, not the Niagara Bar pro am (a bit of an exageration). Although, I do think the mechanical issues suck, had that happen on your boat Rod and almost mine this year. I also think it would be another rule for the observers to know about / enforce and it will become a problem as people pull lines at 1:29 and another boat's watch reads 1:31.

Nick

That's why I posted.....to get both positive AND negative feedback! I'm not going to try to sway anyone to vote as I would. Let it be that as it may. Just keep in mind that no one rule is perfect. It's more about finding the best balance and the fairest rule that serves all participants. :yes::yes::yes: I have never been disqualified by being in late....but a blown outdrive on the run in last year made it really close (seconds....not minutes)....and we were sitting in first place at the time :o I swear I aged about 5 years in those 20 minutes. Other teams have been less lucky.

Wouldn't a simple call on the radio to end the day would be sufficient. That's how we start the day....do we not? If we can rely on the observer to make sure legal fish are not culled, then we too should be able to rely on them to watch that lines are out of the water by the time the call comes over the radio. Maybe that's asking to much of the observer...I don't know?

Rod,

I did not volunteer to be on the committee to do any favors or to reinvent the wheel but to see first hand why when threads like this come up that it is being discussed and an explanation why it was not changed is relayed. Rules are put in place because someone tried to pull a fast one. There are a few rules that I do not understand why they even have them but I am not going to try and get an explanation on them.

I agree that what you are looking for is an 8 hour fishing time like the pros have and like it was in the past. It will take a lot of support to get a rule changed, I hope a rules do not get changed because of a few. Improvements should be made because of the many.

I also agree that you should not be disqualified because you have a problem with your boat that prevents you from getting back to your dock. Why was this rule implemented? It is bad enough your boat is disabled but now you lose all the money you put up to enter the Pro/Am.

Shade

I am going to regret this I am sure but:

I think the current times at least on the pro side are just fine. And if your boat breaks "SORRY" but its tourney fishing and your equipment better work!! You absoultely better be penalized if your boat breaks!!

Tourneys are Tourneys!!! Run what you brought to the party!!!! Tournaments separate the Best thats what they are there for.

I have broken my boat during these, and know plenty of people that have and its all part of the game! 3 years ago I was bolting an outdrive on my boat in Sodus at ten in the evening, that I had a friend drive in from 100 miles away that evening so I could fish on Sunday. We came back and finished in the money.

I know several people whos strategies have been busted on Sat morn as they were running and there boat broke. And they have adjusted and finished in the Money.

Thats Tournament Fishing!!

Just my opinion!

Brian

Tall Tails

I recently fished our Lake Erie ProAm of of Erie PA. This is a 2 day walleye/steelhead event. I really liked how this event was run. We turned in our paperwork at approx. 5:00 am and then we could leave the dock or ramp. We could not drop a line in till 6:30 am but could run electronis, set boards, etc. We could fish till 2:00 pm and had to be in line at weigh in by 4:30pm or you were DQ'd. I liked the fact that we had time to run or search alittle in the morning, but you still had to take into account getting back into port and to the weigh in on time.

I don't think that having the observers watch for the end time would be a big deal to them. They already monitor the start time and if necessary the tournament officals could announce the end of fishing like they do the start times. I personally would like to see a little bit of extra time in the morning to get out and get set and I would also like to get as much of our lost time at the end of the day back as possible.

Jeff

Times are not that important to me.

Everyone fishing that division is against the same clock.

Just got to get your business done in the time thats allowed. The pierhead rule is a good one. If you decide to run 40 miles to your home port to get on fish thats your choice. Just be back to the pierheads on time. I don't see why a guy that runs to his home water, water he's familiar with, should have the same fishing time than a guy from the other end of the lake that is searching and fishing unfamiliar water. Should he have the right to? Absolutely and he does. Just be back on time.

7 hrs fishing is fine.

8 or 9 hrs is fine to.

One thing for sure is I really liked the shorter lines at the weigh in.

Glen

I don't like the observer calling time on the water, because a lot of observers are regulars and have gotten to know the captains over the years. It may be human nature for an observer whom has had prior relationships with a particular team to potentially look the other way as a team lands a fish just past the alotted time. With the pierhead rule, you can have officials at the pierheads making sure the rules are enforced. I DO LIKE THE IDEA THAT YOU CAN HAVE MORE TIME FROM THE TIME YOU LEAVE THE DOCK TIL THE TIME YOU CAN DUNK LINES, to get some scouting in.

i say keep the pier head but give us our run time back ( cuz i love to run and get away from the pack lol) and fish till 130. At most tournaments the person collecting the waivers is there and waiting for 10 minutes or so. So, let am's hand in waivers at 4:50, leave dock at 5, and start fishing at 530. Then end fishing at 130. By the time the majority of the am teams weighed in there was a half hour lull with just a few stragglers before the pros came in unless the boxed out early. By finishing at 130 i think there would be enough time between the am and pro's to keep the lines to a minimum