Cape Cod Fishing advice...

heading to the cape monday staying at sweetwater resort near brewster .Im not to intrested in hooking up with a charter but if i stumbel onto some locals i might beg for a day on water..plan on tossing the canoe on the van so ill have a little freedom if you know anyone there or any special "stuff " to bring ..please save me from going to every craft store at cape cod...Thanks Ray K.

Ray,

If you want a good steak, take the wife to the Dan'l Webster Inn, It’s in Sandwich. Walk around the corner I think it’s about two blocks, go over the bridge and on to the beach. Did catch some stripers there years ago.

Go to the Cape Cod Canal on the cape side. You can walk or bike ride it and stop to fish. It has some good fishing, but the tide moves fast thru it.

Quick tip: If you go to the Kennedy compound, Don’t Drive In!!! Been There Done That!

Have fun

87506294.th.jpg

Ray,

You might find a use for this.

As far as fishing goes, I fish out there several times a year. I use a kayak, but a canoe can put you on some schoolie Stripahs if the water conditions allow on the Bay side. There are usually good numbers of bluefish around now, too. I troll with swimming plugs until I find fish, then I throw flies at them. There is a decent tackle store in Orleans just off the first Orleans exit of Rte. 6. If you want to try the Ocean side beaches, the best fishing is at night. Stop off at the National Seashore Office in Eastham and get a permit to park at the National Seashore beaches after dark. The permit is free and so is the parking if you go after 5:30 PM or early in the AM. Otherwise you have to pay.

Yozuri Crystal Minnows have been my go-to swimming plug. A Stubby Needlefish can be fished as a topwater or subsurface plug and they can be cast a mile. Small poppers work well too. Hopkins spoons have moments too. The biggest shore-caught Stripahs are usually caught at night on live eels.

If you want to fish the Canal, get some 2 oz. jigs and Gulp baits. This is also a low-light fishery and there are places to park along the east-side access road. I do well south of the Sagamore Bridge.

I think you should go to P-town too, just to read your "report" after you stroll down Commercial street.

Paul

hope the permit works made 25 of them wife already found 4 and tossed them out maybe 4ft x6ft was a little to big but i wanted a front row seat !!!!! trying to figure out a place to hide the camcorder but it keeps shutting off when i fart ,guess ill try the beach bag trick..I wish you didnt mention "P" town musky and landshark have been flooding my PM with pic request now i gotta walk downtown pretending to talk on my cell snaping away....Im taking the canoe so im a little mobile on the water if i dont screw up on low tide and have to drag it back 2 miles in the mud gonna toss some yozuri's ,steel leaders,and a few yards of leader material from fla. in the box too. Thanks for the tips if anyone knows of a diehard fisherman there give me a pm ...(not from "P" town)... Ray K.