Boat carpet

LTtroller

I guess I like the idea of carpet for the feel and the footing. I just have the vision of slipping on wet vinyl. I know the vinyl would be easier to clean, but the comfort of carpet suits me better.

I am currently waiting on samples from a couple marine suppliers. The one I like from Cabelas is backordered 4-5 weeks and I cant wait that long, so I am looking elsewhere.

I did look at Lowes and Home Depot today and found some decent outdoor carpet w/marine backing at HD. Good color and decent price, 16oz. weight w/ 4 year warranty, but I am going to compare it with the samples when they arrive later this week (I hope).

This total rehab (floor, carpet and paint) is a bigger project than I had anticipated time and $ wise. Usually I am out on Canandaigua several times by now. Its killing me. I guess I should have started in Febuary, o'well.

Thanks for the input guys!

LT I can assure you that the "slipping" is not a problem. It has a bit of a bumpy surface but I have had it in my boat for 13 years now and I ski/board some too and we always have bare feet that feel good ;) .

It won't retain the fish smell either :shock: Just more food for thought.

My last boat (19' Princecraft) have the same floor Fishinman is talking about. The stuff is great. The only time it gets slippery is after a doulbe of slimers on the floor. The stuff will last way longer than carpet and will not hold odors.

Fishinman, Is it Nautolex vinyl from Defenders? It looks pretty good and reasonable $ wise.

I just got my epoxy so I am going to try and get the plywood floor coated this weekend, and be ready to cover it later next week.

I'll keep you posted.

Yes it is the Nautolex. Evil I turned me on to using 3-M spray on glue. It worked great and was about like $9 - $11 a can at home depot. It comes in 70, 80 or 90. Use the 80 or 90 I used almost 2 cans to do my floor. Spray it on the floor and on the back of the vinyl wait about 3 minutes then just press it on. Not to messy and holds great :D.

LT are you in Rochester?

Hey I just re-carpeted my boat and replaced a bunch of missing rivets and it was a huge pain in the rear. I called around for quotes on the job before I started and was very surprised how much a person charges to replace all the carpet in a boat. So I thought it can't be that hard I try it myself. It was a nightmare, the worst part had to be trying to remove the deck to clean them up and re-carpet them. All the screws holding them down were self tapping screws and as soon as you hit em with the screw gun they would strip. Some I had to drill out, others I had to pry out with a pry bar. I also used the trowel on adhesive for most of it, but after I tried the 3M spray adhesive I'd never use the other stuff. The 3M adhesive had a much higher initial tack and seems to hold better. Also I learned that I should of used a carpet of the same thickness or thinner because just the slightly thicker/ nicer carpet made for some very tight fitting pieces and doors. Oh and I tried to go with all stainless with the new fasteners including the self tappers to re-attach the decks and that can add up in a hurry too. It would be nice if someone could post a picture of a finished boat done in vinyl. I don't think I would ever do mine again in carpet. The vinyl sure sounds like the way go. Good luck