leader length behind flasher question

I was reading the directions on the Pro Troll flasher with the e chip and they recommend a leader length of 3 or 4 feet to the lure but from what Ive seen most of the commercial flys sold have a 18-24" leader. Do these shorter leaders work behind flashers or do they need to be 3-4 feet as mentioned? Also has anyone had any luck using a spoon behind a flasher? Thanks BP

I run only Hot Spot Flashers but the same goes for most. If you're running a spoon then yes, about 4' behind the flasher. If you're running a fly then somewhere between 18 & 22" behind the flasher & that's an 8" flasher with the fly. When I was out in BC they use the 11" Hot Spot & run a Hoochie anywhere between 33 & 42" behind the flasher. I tried that when I came back with a Howie fly & an 11" Hot Spot & it worked well. With the shortage of cut bait it's something to consider.

• 4 weeks later...

so you guys are saying between 18" and 4 feet. Thats a pretty wide range. I guess it depends on the mood of the fish. I was looking for a general rule of thumb for Lake O. Im guessing 2 feet?

Yes, I am from the Pacific NW and that is the normal range in leader lenghts we use up here in saltwater fishing for salmon with an 11" dodger or flasher with a hoochie or salmon fly, as for lakes, it's a slightly different setup.

22 average for flys here i think jason1704 is from the west coast