waneta 8-14-09

Made it down there thurs nite and crashed in the back of the truck.Starlit night with a heavy dew. Coyotes woke me yipping so did`nt sleep well-was cool though,nobody was @launch site `til morning except a fox in parking lot.Regular wild kingdom.Nitro showed at launch time and fog was heavy-thank god for GPS!!!in the water...1/16th of a tank of gas,bummer!!started casting on westside(5-8') out of channel and hookedup with 4lb bass on dbl cowgirl first cast with that lure.Started trolling same side off ist point and a 40-42"hit a 7"jntd big dick in firetiger 75'back(fought nice)had a little trouble and a local(Bob-17'tracker)stopped fishing to help(8am ish).That was cool.Fish wrapped up in net(cut hooks)and released without pic-oops(fish was whooped-water very warm).You`ll have to take my word on that one!!Trolled some more...I NEED GAS!!came back(11 ish-picked up nice pickerel)High blue skies ALL day) trolled same side 2nd point down over 19' and landed(called nitro for assit.his phone was dead) and photoed a nice 43"that hit a mordas crank in firetiger pulling a spoon(props to gus :clap: )(hit crank but attracted by spoon---hmmmm-shhhh! ;-secrets out!).Text`d zach(whom by the way was still WORKING)with that fish just to show`em what he was missing-gott`em all fired up :lol:

We went in for brats and a break twds 4pm,zach pulls in.Nothing else `til just before sundown got a 34"east side twds noth end on mordas(same-w/o spoon)60'back over 28'.Headed out around930pm-Beat-good day on the water.Floating weeds tough-use down rods.Got new camera-hopefully i can download pics-new software.Thats it

cya

Bob

37182624.th.jpg

31537500.th.jpg

38988831.th.jpg

Wow 3 fish day WTG SOl.. :yes: That fog looks like the tourney last October! Im so jealous. I could not go, Had to get replacement phone for the one I swam with at Onieda! Thats one hungry bass goin after that spinner, damn thing is bigger than him!

I want my rig BACK it dont work! :lol:

at least my phone was just drained..not in the drain LOL

yeah, Sol KILLED em yesterday and even zach pulled a 30s in...but if you were in my boat you'd think the waters were barren...9 hours and not even a rip. tried everything...depths speeds lures...nothing worked for me...Id have chalked it up to the bluebird skys and flat water if it weren't for Bob :mad: to top it off...the motor is finally revolting after all the hours of trolling I've put in on those sparkplugs- I had to haul out around 4 because it wouldn't even idle well anymore. those opimax's are great on gas but Hate to go slow...at 15 bucks a plugx6, I wish my boat design would accept a kicker...I should invest in NGK...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

there aren't any muskies in waneta. lol. stuck a small one on a tuffy shadilous right at sunset. i'm no bob though. only one for me. missed one on a bluegill color wiley( on the phone talking w/ the ole lady when line was ripping out). musky bob- man is he good :D mine was about 60 feet back on the tuffy @ 5mph. wiley was only 30 back when it got ripped. anywhere and everywhere right now it seems.

Yeah my phone went in the drink to retrieve my Curado @$180 bones it was worth it! Plus I got a free LG rumor2 for renewing my contract!

Ive had those days all too often Nitro Then Bob shows up and picks one on his first trolling run! Makes a guy want to sell his stuff ;(

Nice fish Zach! Where are you getting the tuffy shad? I want nooooo must have one! :P

Days Gus? try I'm having one of those YEARS at Waneta...

I have seen barely a follow or a rip in about 6 trips this year. My catches consist of 2 monster bass on suicks :lol: . Though I do think part of it is running too big of baits...I gotta try downsizing a bit...

hey bob, now that I'm on the computer...is that some serious redspot on that last fish, or just injuries?

i got the address to order the tuff shads from larry jones. if you do a search you can find them- all special order baits (6-8 weeks) and aren't the cheapest. have seen 2 or 3 go one ebay lately for good money. no shops that i can find are selling them. you can go fast with them. those are way easier than finding the bk lure- les chubbie. they are out of n.j. had only one and lost it and can't find any replacements.

Man am i torqued!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i just recieved my replacement lowrance sonar unit in the mail friday(woohoo-no more portable unit) and thought i`d get right to using it on sunday...NOT...it does`nt power up. :@:no: #*@% ugg.Are u kidding me.What dumb luck.

Wow, that blows Sol. I cant believe they would send it back without double checking it prior, but I'm sure it wouldnt be the first time that something like that happened...but did you possibly unhook your power wire or double check your fuse? maybe that blew when the water got into it in the first place.

good luck, I know how you feel...mine has to go back too and just a couple months out of waranty (called just after it was up so hoping they will honor it still). at their suggestion, when we were out Friday I swapped in my old unit to see if the problem was with the 'ducer or head unit but the old one seems fine... sooo mines off to H'bird this week. oye... gonna suck making due with no gps and low res for a while...

bob- left front fin clip on my last one. did u notice any on yours? i wish i could figure out what years they cut what fins? my biggest out of waneta this year had no clips..... all small baits for me this year. btw that smaller fish looks horrible with its gashes-- hope its heals okay-do u think they are more prone to infection w/ the higher water temps?

I think i`m gonna have to retract my prior post.Just out of curiosity i removed all the splices in my wiring harness(old wires) and ran directly to my battery-it works!Well i feel like poop.I just had to send them a damage control email.I went over and borrowed my friends sonar and hooked it up and that did`nt work either.that`s when i figured something might be wrong.OOOPs

Zach...All fish were clipped.

Solo with bluebird skies and calm seas you did quite well under those conditions. Not your typical Musky conditions. Nice goin! I was there last week with my son and he got a 36" ski at 2:30PM, goes to show that you can expect the unexpected in Musky fishing. BP

you must have shaken bobs hand and at some point his magic must have wiped off you you. talked to the fisheries biologist from chaut. and he said that they rotate cutting the four fins and there is no real way to determine how old the fish is. according to him a 40" male would be about 15 years old and the average female around 8-10 years old. so you can see the problem with aging the fish unless you know male or female.

I wish...5 hours away though...could be good fishing but be careful the weather...on my way to the airport this AM I thought I heard talk of some potential storms.

BTW you got too much time on your hands...I gotta tell 'Patty D' to work you harder...or maybe Im just jealous :)

Go get 'em!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

16230914.jpg

got down last night and went 2 for 3. fished 4:30 until dark. lots and lots of floating weeds. not just strands but huge twisted blobs of weeds two to three feet around. made it tough to troll (borderline impossible) in certain areas. started off trolling deeper like usual and no hits. saw a bug hatch towards evening in the flats and small fish working the surface over 18-20fow. ran gotchas shallow (less than 5 feet down) through them and picked up two and lost another pretty quickly. this isn't what i expected but it is what worked for me. 4.5-5mph. weather was good down there last night. 33" and 36"- the one i lost i saw- and it was alot bigger than those two. oh well-- so far this year on waneta- one musky for every 4.25 hours out. almost in double digits for waneta for the first time in my life. also got a 3lb largemouth on a short-lined spinnerbait south end.

GREAT Pic Zach! Glad to hear you are having some good success down there! Keep the pics coming - nothing is more motivating to get out on the water than seeing the results of other anglers :yes::beer::clap: