Copper Question

Hi Gang,

First year running copper off my boat. I have 400' of 45# with 50# pro braid as backing on a Penn 49. It looks cool but I find that the free spool has caused my beloved copper to kink in a few spots (I screwed up!). As much as I tried to undo the kink, I see the bump in the line. Is my copper compromised by this. I know with Monel, you are done when this happens but not sure of the criticality. Also, it seems that the consensus is the Penn 345 GTi appears to be a good choice for this type setup. Is the clicker durable on this reel..in other words can I let the line out in free spool with the clicker on without burning it out. I know the old Penn Reels couldn't handle this.

Thanks,

Bob

always undo th kink and grab line a few inches from dented area with 2 hands and sorta work smooth over a rounded surface (grabrail ) this will remove bump.. and do the close your eyes break test to see if it really weakend a lot.(pull) im shure every bend ,straightened kink,or tangle twist (should this ever happen) weakins the copper some NOW WHEN WILL IT FAIL??????( ONLY THE BIGGEST FISH WILL TELL)

The kinks have been fine for me as long as the are straightened out by untwisting them the opposite way they went in. The Penn 345 has been a real reliable reel for me so far. A good way to let coppers out is by backing off the drag to your desired deployment speed. some spools free spool with the clickers too fast for my liking.

If you only want to run a 400' copper look into getting a Shimano Tekota 800. There are a lot faster and smoother than the Penns. As for the clickers in the Penns mine lasted about 2 years on both reels and will be replaced over the winter.

Gambler, I have one of each. The reel made in the US lasted longer than the reel made in China. Im not tryin to bash Penn by any means but when I contacted the outfitter who is gonna repair them for me, he told me that he gets more Penns in for clicker repair than any other reel.