sun screen question

Ok so I have heard all the wierd substances that people put on their lures... Now once I was told that a certain brand of sun screen is used as an attractant... Now im not going to start putting sun screen on my lures any time soon.. But is some yahoo is goofy enough to put it on their tackle I will feel better about wearing it when I am fishing.. my current ritual involves me washing my hands with lava soap and using smelly jelly as hand cream after i apply my sun screen.. I would like to avoid this process if i can.

Nick,

A few years ago there was a product around that was supposed to "visually attract" fish when you sprayed it on a lure. Sucker that I am, I bought some and it didn't seem to do anything. This past year, an aspiring materials engineer asked me for products through my business so that they could reverse engineer them and see what they are made of. I am in the glue business, so I gave him a few things and then threw in this bottle of spray. I just ran into him last week and I asked him about it. He said "Its Sunscreen!" The stuff didn't work at all, but it caught me.

Paul

A guide from a outfitter in Ontario I went with always would have a coffee can full of sand/gravel and lake water in his boat that he would grab before everytrip to wash his hands while on the boat without using soap. I usually do this at the launch before I leave the docks.

Its much better than smelly jelly hand lotion. :lol:

Most sunscreens contain some oils that all have a protein component that will attract fish, WD 40, cod liver oil, bilge oil and such all have this component, avoid the perfumed types. Humans and bears both have the same skin oils so you should mask that scent when handling your tackle because of the imprint of survival in fish to avoid danger. Avoid insecticides of all types, they are fish repellants. Use the sunscreen it will not affect your effort and will prolong your fishing years. You could also buy a funny hat like Jerry's (Rebel) but you will be subject to ridicule.