Trolling Speed at the lure

Is there a rule of thumb about what speed you troll at. I troll flies and flashers at the recommended speed on the package, but for spoons and sticks baits I guess and just keep adjusting. The thing that I can't understand is that I caught more fish before I bought the electronics. I don't know if it's bad luck (should of been here yesterday) or I'm doing something really wrong. Heading up the first weekend in May and trying to get a game plan together. I only get up a couple times a year and I'm trying to make the most of it. Thanks for your help.

yea ,sorta maybe, hope this helps,,. speed is the most important to lure presentation as you know there are pretty wierd currents on the pond ,but the good news for spring is your fishing top water so under currents no problem ,spoon weight ,hook size,spoon size all effect lure action as a given rule for me 2.3 mph to 2.7 mph mostly in the 2.5 -2.7 range gps (mph)lures work right out of the package here ,just watch your lures a little at the boat,if all looks kinda make mental note of engine sound RPM speed at which the bubbles or spit goes by,if your in shallow 10ft or less then ya gotta change fluctuate lures with throttle if your a little deeper you can do some 45 deg zig zag turns.color and temp are kinda important in the spring a 1/2 deg change is big ............ go to www.attheoak.com scroll down to TOTAL CHOAS or sumpting like that then spring fishing that will help more what i can tell ya Good Luck

I have both cannon and fish hawk speed and temp. They are a half a MPH different. best way to check is set probe down 5 feet and look at lure till it running the way you want and check the probe speed. Then run at that speed.

Thats how we started watching the lure in the water and marking the speed of the boat. Then I bought a Sub Troll, and forgot the basics. I'll try watching the lure action and marking the speed on the sub troll. Thanks for the info.