Reaching depths of 250'

There are those who target depths of app 200' and deeper at times with a 20# shark. Plus those who fish Ontario are always willing to try new techniques- What is the weight of this torpedo ? I know Chumara I believe, has been testing these on Mi. so if you have any other insight that would be welcomed. So I would say yes that there would be some interest here- Duane

I could have used some last night off Sandy. In 400 ft. I had consistent, big marks down 250. Those had to be kings. I am not sure of the article or author, but I know that at least one charter captain has successfully targeted those deep fish. You say these weighed 2 lbs. How do you run them, what is the setup? Thanks, Tank

Out west here in California it is not uncommon to fish at those depths and deeper, But the problem is getting them to use them. The dipsy diver was invented just up the road and there can not be over a couple dozen of us that use them .

Tank these were test models not available to the public yet. In Michigan fishing depths of 150 to 250 down for kings is now common. I am trying to get an understanding of whether lake O fisherman are fishing these depths.

As far as setup is concerned you simply clip them onto your fishing line and lower them down according to a chart.

There is definitely an interest on our boat of a reasonable way to target fish at those

depths. Do you need a Lake Ontario tester? We would be happy to do so and with the LOC

starting any trick that will put fish on board would be welcome!

I did get a pair of the Torpedo "Cudas" that I was planning to run off my riggers w/ an OR 16 release subbed in for my Scotty, but the dive chart shows I would need over 200' of line behind(down below) my rigger weight just to hit 200', the whole thing just seemed to cumbersome so I shelfed the idea. Chmura's ideas on using these weights as a "stealth" presentation seem much more practical but maybe this 2lb Torpedo would have a depth curve that would make using it more feasible.

Matthew, do you have a dive chart for this weight and is the weight available- I would try a pair!

Orleans Pro/Am I found a school of kings that held thousands of fish out over 350' off the summerset powerplant. The problem was reaching these fish which were down 150-250'. Frustrating. I wasted most of day 1, and some of day 2 chasing, until I gave up and went for steelhead. Sure could use other options for targeting those deep spring fish. Will an otterboat carry a two pound weight?????? I think they will be limited to down the chute.

I know some guys who are very skilled at deep jigging for lakers, browns and landlocks, they tried the technique on Ontario and hooked a few of Kings but were not able to get one into the boat. I think the main problem is finding them w/ the jigging technique can be time consuming and if the fish are below 70' it get's much more difficult to detect the strike quickly enough to get a good hook set.

• 2 weeks later...