Can you post a picture of it ?

We have a lot of guys out west here that run them with out any troubles I have had mine for 5 years. I use it in calm waters when running my big boards, the kicked is where I have the troubles then.

24e4chd.jpg

2eeg57s.jpg

Years ago on my 90 merc I put on a Happy Troller. The only problem I had was I forgot to pop it up and took off after fishing. Bent the plate pretty bad. I found a replacement plate for it made by Dyco Marine. It was spring loaded and hinged in the middle and it was sweet. Huge improvement. You could actually get up to about 3500 RPM without damaging anything.

Didn't have any steering issues though.

Glen

Stan,

Does that dog slow you down at all? I've got a useless mutt and a pair of beagles that are bored all summer. Never thought of putting them behind the boat to slow me down. You west coast boys really ahead of the curve in innovation!! That is what is great about this here internet and sites like this one!!

CC

I run them on both my boats! I run a 16' w20hp for Quabbin Res and 23' Imperial w225hp on gill Bracket. I also run bags depending on conditions. Going down wind or current I release the plate while trolling at speed and the plate only goes down halfway, if however I take the boat out of gear then she drops all the way down and can be a little sluggish in handling. With the plate in the half down position, if I decide to run upwind I will just goose the throttle to push the plate up far enough to lock it up. then I have the power and handling needed to run upwind. These are just my observations having run two of these units on two different boats. :yes:

I run pro troller smart tabs on my boat and they work great for getting and staying on plane. Also when droped down into trolling position I dont have to even think about using bags anymore they were about 170 dollars and installed in less then an hour. My last boat I had a trolling plate and it did not handle very well these smart tabs improve low speed handling they also help you stay on plane at much lower speeds and in rough water that is a big help. They do have a money back gaurntee as well. I do not have any connection to this product I just love them and thought I would share the info.

Shade take a look at this link if you are interested call the owner of the company or email him he would tell you if they would work for your boat or not with a money back gaurente. http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabsII.htm for the trolling option I think you would have to by 4 of the adjustable upper mounting brackets.