Species Breakdown: 1 brown, 5 kings

Hot Lure: NK Watermelon

Trolling Speed: 2.0 – 2.9

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 70 – 180 fow

Lure Depth: 70 – 110 feet

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

I’m a little late posting this report, but I wanted to thank Tim (Finders Keepers) for his post from 8-18 & 8-20. It gave me and my fishing buddy Mike McCoy some good ideas of where and what to fish on the 21st.

We left the bay at about 6:15 am and set up north of Chimney Bluffs in 70 fow, and started to head east toward the silos.

We fished:

One downrigger down 70 feet with a NK Watermelon and a (I can’t remember) on the slider.

Two dipsys- one with cut bait 270 back, and one with a green hoochie w/ green fly 240 back.

One nine color lead core down the chute with a 4 oz. weight and a green e-chip and green crinkle fly.

We had three immature kings and one 5 – 6 lb. brown hit the NK Watermelon and one small king on the meat rig. All were returned to the water safely.

When we were in 90 fow, just west of the channel, the watermelon rod started screaming out line again. I just held on and watched. After a couple hundred feet of line later, it decided to stop and rest. I managed to then start gaining some line back. After about fifteen minutes, I had it to the back of the boat and knew this king was a LOC contender. After a few scary moments with the net, we had her in the boat. Later, at Screwy Louie’s it officially weighed in at 28 pounds 14 ounces! I enjoyed first place for about two and a half hours! I am currently in eighth and dropping.

Mike also had a big king take the lead core down to about ten turns of the backing. He managed to get it to within ten feet of the boat and as I was getting the net ready, it spit the e-chip and fly at us and slowly swam away. (Why do all the fish that get away look like tournament winners!!)

Tim, Mike and I plan to be out in about the same area tomorrow (weather permitting). If you get out, give us a call (Irish Wake) on 14.

Good fishing,

Jim

Good job Dr.Seuss, ive lost many 40 to 50 lbrs too!!!!! Specially in the derbys!!! netting the big ones is always fun it would be kinda cool to have a heart monitor , on the rod guy and the net guy during the last 50' to the boat (that would be a cool addition to a video) My biggest fish ever was (i caught) just under 28 lbs ,so this is the year so far for getting big boys .......and im still stuck on the cape for another week but this place is pretty cool..

Jim, NICE FISH! We might see you out there tomorrow! I haven't decided whether to head west or east out of the bay -Andy (White/Blue Starcraft Islander w/ Blue Bimini and too many rods)

Hey Jim - Glad I could help you get on some decent fish! We didn't get out today, but it is good to have a day off. We'll be out every morning mon - wed (thu and fri are possible if I can find a babysitter). Will you be out this week? If so, we'll give you a shout!

Tim,

Mike and I went out this a.m. from 6:15 - 11:30. Same place, same gear, same conditions (except wind from the north) It was a humbling experience. We went 0 for 0!

Just when you think you have these fish figured out, they let you know you haven't a clue! We threw everything we had at them and had one twitch on a dipsy rod that was gone before I could get to it. Oh well there's always a next time.

Mike has to work Monday thru Wednesday. But, if the weather cooperates, we plan to head to Oswego Thursday a.m., fish that area, and return Sunday.

Chowder- Thanks. I didn't see too many boats out there today- it was pretty bumpy from the north. 2 - 3s with an occassional 4.

Thanks for the warning Hank.

Good fishing,

Jim

Tim,

We were marking good fish, usually three to five at a time in the 80 to 90 feet down range around 120 - 180 feet depth. They just didn't like what we had!

Hope you have a better day than we did!

Good fishing,

Jim