Met with Coup and Bretter from the site on saturday morning along with my friend Brad from PA. We headed east and set up outside the pack in 180. We ended up 2 for 7 with 41lbs of king. That left us in 15th afetr day 1. Day 2 we set up straight out of the chute in 100 and as soon as we did rods went crazy. We had 5 rods fire and 0 fish to show for it. 2 to the back of the boat and the hooks straightened :@ . Finished sunday with 1 brown and 0 for 6 on kings. We dropped to 26th I think. Ive had 3 brand new flies break off between the single hook and the treble. Anyone else having this trouble or with hooks straightening? Im going with stronger trebles on every fly i buy.

None the less I had a great weekend with some great guys. Chris and Brett are super guys and if you get a chance to fish with them take advantage of it. Alot of ball bustin in the best of spirit. I will say this, there are some serious idiots out there that are afraid to give up on their line. Chris did a great job with the boat and was always the one to give way to people that wouldnt move even if another boat had us pinched. Guys need to start looking at more than just one boat and start looking at other boats around the boat they are near. When a boat purposely turns his nose away to give you the line, dont turn with him and pinch him more wtf. If you are unsure of another boats intentions make an obvious bow point to let the other boat know what your intentions are. Just like life, some people are just idiots.

I read somewhere that the line might be getting caught at the bottom of the treble hook. The fish is hooked and then turns. The line gets caught and pinches off. A solution was to place a drop of epoxy where the three hooks come together. Just a thought.

as the fall nears the moulths seem to get a little harder as the fish prepare to battle for mate and die (sounds like marrage) ,,ive straightened more hooks this time of year as a rule..dont make sence with proper drag and 20 lb test line but it happens looks like someone will have to break out the airboard and find out how they do it.. edit i was refering to 20 lb test between the dypsy and the flasher ,and the rigger mainline..

We have several flies in the boat now that have a treble with only two hook points and have lost the stinger hook as well. I'm guessing that means that the hook itself is breaking off where the stinger is tied on. I don't know the brand off-hand. I love the idea of the stinger, but in practicalities in just seems to result in broken trebles.

Gator

In my opinion the line provided with flies is not adequate! We buy the skirts and tie our own rigs with 50 floro and epoxy the back of the trebble! Also dont expect to use the rig more than 5 or 6 times without checking for abrasions between the two hooks! good luck!

I only use A Tom Mik flys and Tom uses #50 Seagar floro. who dosn't ?

BTW, does the epoxt trick seem to help for anyone?

I don't know what I am going to do but it has cost me alot of fish. No hook should straighten on any rig. A heavier hook isn't going to keep a salmon from striking. It was a good time and cool to se everyone there. If there is a pro team that might need a member next year keep me in mind. My status as amatuer is over. :(

This was my first Scotty and it was a good time for sure. Thank you Landshark for putting it together.

Now for the fun stuff that was left out. Sat. am we are just hanging out with 10min till I showed off my mad driving skills that really scared me to death and I hear something in the back not sounding right. Yup, It's Mike being hard on my equipment making a rats nest out of a downrigger. He was just so excited I think he just wanted to have the first one in the water for the day. It gets better. So now we are hours into the morning and Bret and Mike are slaving away and I'm not really paying attention to them and just watching rods and I hear, " Oh no, your kidding me " Now, I've fished with Mike a few times and this is one guy that never looks puzzled in the back of a boat. I look at the corner rigger and see the cable end frayed laying on the transom. Good bye Fish Hawk probe and ball. I can't believe the tru trac swivel tingamajig just let go. ON the bright side I called my better half and she picked up an x4 on the way the weigh in, so we were back in business and also when you go 0 for 7 on the second day you get to put your boat on the trailer first. Got to love it. Thanks again guys, I had a blast.

After reading this last post I don't feel so bad. My last trip up was almost as bad we went 0 for 5 (didn't lose a probe though) but lost a dispey and a flasher spoon combo or two. I asked God above what did I ever do to him to deserve this. I guess that's just big water fishing. The more gear you have the more you have to lose. I share your pain but enjoy the scream of the line running off the reel. I think that's why we all are in the game.

Oh by the way Cannon Riggers are junk. The switches are put in a spot that is meant to be leaned on or bumped or hung by a shirt. Of course if you do backlash one they are a pain in the arse to try to undo. grrrrrr So im blaming he rigger thing on Cannon :rofl:

Mike, I think the problem with the trebles breaking off on tournament ties......which I hear is happening everywhere, ......is a simple mechanical advantage problem. The treble burries into the corner of the mouth, with the salmon's teeth in the area between the eye of the treble and the snell knot on the front siawash. If the front single gets snagged on the outside on the yap while thrashing about those teeth cut through when the fish turns to run. Later in the season as those maturing fishes teeth seem to grow and become more prominent the problem worsens. I have been running a no-bead harness with an owner treble, braid and a barrell swivel and have had no break offs to date. The swivel helps keep the hook from tearing a big hole when a fish thrashes by countering any twisting during the fight. #40 fluoro as leader tied to the swivel. The swivel lies under the fly head not in front. It is very difficult to tie these small enough without getting an owner stuck in your hand. I use the "wire-line knot" on the eye of the treble and then tie with both ends a double improved cinch knot to the swivel. I do the same for my j-plug harnesses. The knots look like this....

Picture003.jpg

On Monday I got a King that had broken off 2 of the 3 points on a Spoon treble- so I don't think it's just a fly rigging issue. As that mouth hardens it must give them tremendous leverage on a treble, is this why some people like the siwash style single? I see that a lot of West Coast squids are rigged w/ singles.

i run big weenie pro tie double singles and have never strightened or broke a hook, not sure but i beleive he uses 40# floro. great flies that will hold toghether through many fish. i have never had one come untied unlike others that are on the market rollie

We had a big fish break off between the treble and the single hook during the prefish for the Wayne County ProAm. The fly was brand new out of the box that morning. I do admit it was on a dipsey, but we do keep close tract of drags when playing big fish. Not sure what happened, but this gives some good insight and things to keep in mind.

Glad you guys had fun at the Scotty. Fun is what it's all about. But always nice to take home some money, :)