Place to stay out west for the loc ?

I'm sure this question has been asked, so I appologize if I missed it. I'm thinking about heading out west for the loc, but I've never been to that end of the lake, let alone fish it. I'd guess many places are booked up during the derby, any suggestions on where we could stay? A campground would be cool, I'm thinking about taking my son and doing a nice father & son outing. What might our options be on launching, sleeping and dockage?

Thanks!!!!!

Rod

Thanks Rich. I made reservations for the 9th thru the 13th. No cabins available, so we took a tent site with power. Wife informed me she's coming along too. Is there anyplace to keep the boat without having to haul & launch every time? If not, that's okay. What dates will you be there?

Rod

Rod,

I will be leaving the 8th. We are leaving the boat in Wilson, not sure if there is any docks available in the area.

http://boatingontheweb.com/port.asp?id=278

http://www.wilsonboatyardmarina.com/marina.htm

The second one is Kevin Jerge,if he is full he might be able to tell you where there might be an open slip. His marina is in Wilson NY. The first one is in Youngstown.

Ricg

On at 7 off by 11. Didnt get a hit! That lake is so tough. I saw 4 or 5 caught that whole time by other boats. Very frustrating. I would have stuck it out but the people I went with had short attention spands.

Rod, there are several docks at Wilson-Tuscarora State Park. I've used them a few times. I think they are about $19/night. I don't think they take reservations but during the Pro-Am, I was the only boat there. There is a good launch ramp there also.

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=31

Your right Ray. I guess I'll call to make sure they have parking for me in advance. I doubt I'll fit in a tent site. Besides the hieght and length of the boat, I pull it with a chevy 3500 extended van, so it's a long rig. I'm sure they have plenty of space somewhere. I checked in with a couple places for dock space, no call backs. Guess they think I'm a moran for even asking this late :roll:

I'll be fishing totally blind. Never been out there. Should be an adventure!

If you guys see a 24 ft Searay called Lucky Enuff being pulled by a gold chevy van and looking very confused or lost, That would be me ;)

What's the best boat launch to hit leaving the Koa??

Rod

Rod,

If you are staying at the KOA, then you will not have a problem with your rig. they have extra sites and areas to park, so there should not be a problem. the closest launch is the Fort Niagara launch, but I think you might want to look it over before you go down in there. It has a pretty steep hill going down and it is a little tight down in there. esp if the place is jammin with boats. I like the Wilson launch much better, more room, it is a little farther to the bar but I will take that, most of the time I do not need to go that far. Give me a shout later in the week.

Rich

Thank you Landing zone......I'm looking into that. That would be great If I can get in. Otherwise, I'll probably go check out the Wilson

Launch like you suggest Rich. I'll drop the boat and check everything out when I get there on the 9th. If it's easier, what's a couple more miles? I'll stay in touch Rich.

Won't be long and we'll be there!!!

Thanks, Rod