levelwind wire setup

Ive got two large Okuma LC levelwinds and id like change over to wire. Is there any problem w spoolin up #30 wire on a levelwind. I realize ive got to change over to rods that can deal w wire through the guides. any recommendations on a quality rod that wont break the bank(i need two). Best brand wire?

Thanks as always

Jeff Young

Jeff,

Your level winds are just what you need. You should consider 50# Powerpro as well. It is eaiser to work with than wire and has just about all the dipsy use advantages plus the versitility of converting to a rigger or planerboard or slide diver rod if needed in the early season. The only advantage wire has is in reaching depths greater than 100' (280'+ out on the dipsy). If you catch most of your fish between the surface and 90' down I believe you are better off with the Powerpro.

You can use powerpro or wire on any rod that is capable of handling a dipsy. I would suggest a Med/Heavy fast action 8-9' rod. Shimano TDR, Diawa Hartlands, and Eagle Claw & Okuma all make fiberglass rods that will do the job for <$50.

CC

Ive got two large Okuma LC levelwinds and id like change over to wire. Is there any problem w spoolin up #30 wire on a levelwind. I realize ive got to change over to rods that can deal w wire through the guides. any recommendations on a quality rod that wont break the bank(i need two). Best brand wire?

Thanks as always

Jeff Young

You don't need roller guides or wire rods, any diver rod with a twili tip will suffice this is what most guys run, Diawa Heartlands are very popular rods, Shimano TDR's, Okuma Blue Diamond's all are inexpesive rods and work great just switch out the tip on them, if you want a reel nice rod, Shimano Talora's are nice real nice then you go with the rods that are made specifically for wire but you'll pay for them. I don't see the need.

Malin and AFW (american fishing wire) in brown camo is what most everyone is running as far as wire, get two 1000 ft spools and load those reels up and your good to go.