Planer Board Releases for Copper off Otter Boat

Jim,

The heavy (orange) offshore planerboard release works for the 200' but for the heavier - longer setups you may wish to consider doing the following it is a bit more laborious but effective:

Stop your planer board 2/3 of the way out send the 200' out with the offshore then let out the 300-500 copper, attach a Scotty stacker release to the planer board line and set your copper in it, then let your board out the last 1/3 of the way. (I guess you could clip the Scotty stacker on to a shower ring and slide it down, but I like doing it this way because the deeper coppers are usually the most hit and I can recover the Scotty release and use it again without risking releasing/tangling the 200' while pulling the release back up the board. Plus I don't want to buy many $13 releases)

As long as your access to your planer reels is easy you can reset rather quickly. If the fish are hitting the 200' the most than this system is a pain in the neck and you are better off running just the 200' on one side and the heavy's on the other.

CC

PS. I use Scottys cause they came with my riggers and didn't cost me anything. There are many different downrigger releases that are adjustable (even roamers that slide) that will work for you.

I use scottys and rubberbands for all my coppers. I just adjust how far into the release the rubberband is seated. I found a bunch of scotty releases at a fishing flea market so I picked them up pretty cheap otherwise as mentioned above the are costly.

I use the Scotty's. The bigger ones for coppers with flashers and flies and the small regular plainner releases for short coppers (250 and less) without flashers. If you want the big Scotty's, purchase the double pinch pad stackers and cut them off and add a shower curtain hook. Saves a lot of $.

Hey guys - thanks for the feedback. I actually used a spare Scotty downrigger release last time and it worked o-k. Carl, I will probably ever only run 1 copper per side, so my situation is a lot easier. I should have pointed that out. I usually fish with 3 people max, so I just need a way to get my copper or full core out away from the rest of the spread. Gambler - I always buy the Scotty stackers - you get two releases for the price of 1. I'll pick up a couple of these and I should be all set. I also like the Scotty planer releases. They will almost work with 300' copper in the heavier setting.

Thanks again for the responses.

Sponge I have been using my walleye boards for a 350 copper and a full core +3oz dive bomb....I just move the weight on the board towards the back of the board. Ive never had any trouble with the walleye boards triping...the 600 copper would probably not work though

Best way we have found to run copper or multiple coppers off the otter boards is to go to walmart or any other retail store and but some shower curtain rings. take (2) rubber bands amd attach to the copper line ( not to the backing) at the desired range. then just place the loop into the shower curtain ring and attach to planer board line and run it down as you would any other line. Works perfect for us in an weather, and releases nicely.