Re-power Sea Drive

Bucks1

I have a 23 ft Sea Ox with the 235 Sea Drive on it. I just blew a 2 year old powerhead due to an overheat and want to re-power this boat. I live in the Pt Breeze area and am looking for a marina that may be able to handle glassing in the transom, installing a bracket, engine and new controls.

I would not take it to Blackbird(1 outboard). My buddy just got his boat back from them after 2 months, complete rebuild on a 115 Mariner. It took them 2 months because they didn't want to change the tooling on their machines without having another motor to do. Too much of a hasle for them, what about not getting fishing for us? Bottom line is even after the wait they still didn't get it right. We have been back once already and probably going to have to make another trip since the motor is still not running right. I don't think he even got the original carbs reinstalled since none were sinc'd right, they were fine when we took it there. We decided they would be OK if you were just taking them the block and pistons to bore and you were doing all the assembly work yourself. I was thinking of taking my dad's boat to them to repower, but not now. I live in Erie and the sad thing is there isn't a mechanic within a day's drive that I would trust to touch my motor... Except of course myself.

Original poster here - This powerhead came from Blackbird (1 outboard) They had it for almost 3 months (promised 2 weeks) It never ran well, always bogged down and now it is toast after overheating. The mech said the impeller was worn and old, although part of the rebuild was supposed to be a new impeller. The first time I started the engine, it could not hold idle. Checked the plugs and they were used and the wrong type. $3500 does not go far these days.

Sounds like par for the course for those guys. In discussing the situation with my buddy we decided that the 3 grand + that he spent would have been put to much better use in covering the 10k+ cost of a new motor.

I found this, very interesting read. I've had the experience enough that I would take on the conversion, I'm not so sure you would want to tackle it yourself though. Take a look, it is what you are looking at doing.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/refere ... rsion.html

Bucks1,

FYI

Repowered boat and have a pair of 1985 2.5 Litre V-6 OMC Sea Drives. These are 205 HP big block OMC's on a bracket. They are complete, everything is there, and two sets of props, all upgrades and spare parts included. They have 175 hours on motors, one on rebuild other on new powerhead, compression is perfect.

They could be used for parts for most OMC V-6's I believe 200HP, etc, they are 25" shaft lower units. They are on crates and ready to ship. Asking $2500 for the pair plus shipping. Worth that in parts alone.

email [email protected] or (218)390-4522.