Oswego Pro/Am going NO COMMUNICATION

Seems some Pro/Am coordinators are acting a bit more receptive than others, in the line of what the participants want !!

Just a chance this may happen in Oswego, the Oswego event was NO COMMUNICATION for over 10 years, it ran flawlessly!!

Before the "continued" work goes into making this happen I would like to be sure there is still a majority vote, please send along your feelings to me or here on this thread

[email protected]

There are around 6 to 8 regular Pro/Am boats we initially lost in Oswego and Mexico when the rules were unified and communication was opened, this did not matter as most coordinators felt we would always have enough participants, Oswego has slid downhill in entrants ever since, this after growing in entrants each and every year for 10 years. I would assume we would automatically gain a few of the regular teams lost back for starters.

This is great news for the many participants who have preached on deaf ears for the last few years, coordinators being receptive to what participants want is huge concerning future sponsorship and involvement !!!

Tom Allen

Tom,

That rocks and I give it my full support...no communication :yes::yes:

Seems some Pro/Am coordinators are acting a bit more receptive than others, in the line of what the participants want !!

I'm new to the Pro Am's over the past three years, but we do fish all four events. Being a newer team, we are not one of the "big dawgs" by any stretch. We donate our money and every couple events we get lucky Enuff to get a some back. We have FUN doing it...and we are already getting prepared for next year.

Just my opinion....but I hear a lot of guys bad mouth the committee for things that happened 10 years ago. My experience has been the opposite. I have have had many conversations with several of the committee members as a voice for the Am division. Even though I'm newer to the scene, they accept fresh ideas. When I proposed the open division last year...they embraced it with an open mind, even when members on this site dismissed it (probably thinking it would not happen). We are now discussing changing the way we end our fishing day, by putting it back to the way it used to be. I know they are asking around gaining as many opinions on that subject as possible. They want to hear from us.....they want our Pro Ams to grow and they want the majority to be happy!!

The past is the past....Way to go committee

Closed communication ....... :yes::yes::yes::yes:

Ahoy Tom,

This will work for me because I am deaf and I cannot use the radio!!!!! :clap:

Actually, I have never entered the pro am in the past and I know for sure I will be part of this exciting competition someday!

Tight lines.

Anthony

Seriously, Pike Hunter is legally deaf and does a really good job of salmon fishing. I fished with him this past Oswego Scotty. I told him he still needs a radio on his boat for the rest of us that can hear and can make a distress call in the case of an emegency. He can still call out his GPS coordinates if he needed to.

I will be jotting down Oswego Pro/Am team names (Pro and Am) for the record, please associate a current team name whether in agreement or opposed. I have already received 5 team names via E mail, team names will be brought forward to the necessary entity concerning the Oswego Pro/Am, however will be kept confidential after that.

TYVM

Tom

Tom as you know our team has fished with both open and closed communication and would like it to go back to closed. It was good to hear at the Oswego King of the lake event the idea of going back to closed was still on the table. I think this rule was one that made the ProAm's a step above other events. It is no fun giving your gps numbers to the observer and haveing them give them to a team your fishjng against or seeing freinds getting mad begause they did not get some info. So to those who are on the fence about this lets admit open communication was a bad idea that has hurt the Pro-Am's and not helped bring in new teams.

Del

Rod,

Was the open division the answer that the MAJORITY of the fishermen wanted who participate or would participate in the Pro/Am to the original issue on Observers? There are some fishermen who are not members of LOU but fish the Pro/Am.

I never saw any voting or discussion on the open division until it appeared in the rules. All I heard is you will see some changes. Who decides on what changes are made from arrising issues?

When the concern of long lines at weigh in was brought up, taking a 1/2 hour away from the Ams fixed the long lines but is that what the Amatures wanted or thought to be the fix? When the discussion came up in Oswego and I said why not have the Ams start at 6am and end at 2pm and the Pros start at 7am and end at 3pm I was told that the Pros said it was an disadvantage because the Ams would get to the HOT SPOTS before they did. The only reason I said that is because every Charter starts at 7am and either fishes until noon or 3pm with their clients during the rest of the season.

I am going to shut upnow because I know I am going to get flack and I ALREADY VOLUNTEERED TOBE ON THE COMMITTEE. ;);)

Shade

I am all for zero communication during the Scotty events, as well as the Pro-Am's...

I believe in this mostly to even out the playing field during the course of the fishing day...I dont find it very fair that someone not catching anything could just call up one of there buddies or anyone for that matter and get put over fish, while someone with-out these connections would suffer...

Basically fish these tournaments utilizing gut instinct and all your knowledge gained over the years instead of pushing some buttons and asking where they are, how deep, on what, etc...

I also want to say that I fish as many tournies as possible, which included 5 this year and the person I fish with has connects with some of the best fishermen on the lake and it has def. helped in finding fish but I would still like a zero communication rule...

I have been an observer in the Niagara pro-am the last two years, but i have never been a team member. My question would be how do you enforce the no communication rule? With cell phones and texting even with an observer I think the no communication rule would be impossible to enforce. As an observer, I do not want to follow a team member to the head to make sure he is not texting his buddy on another boat.

Vic Rowcliffe

The Nina

I have observed on boats where the no communication rule is in effect. It always worked out pretty well. Cell phones in the hands of the observer and shut off, or on the dash. There is no sure fire way to make sure that no one is going downstairs and texting, but as with most of these rules, nothing is foolproof.

Victor,

The last thing any of us want is to leave an observer feeling uncomfortable.

If a team member is going to take a chance on cheating I am sure it could happen in relation to any rule.

Cell phones and texting were only a mere image a few years ago of what is presently available today we are well aware, however all we did when no communication was in effect in Oswego was have the observer collect each cell phone, pager etc., make sure they were off then place them in a bag or box at the beginning of the event. Pretty simple and just as easy as writing down coordinates that is expected of them. Team members or captains will have it spelled out at the captains meeting, all communication items/phones/pagers etc. are to be off and placed in a bag or box and in the observers possession, easy as that.

Pretty simple, whether to communicate or not is the rule in question, if communication is closed for the Oswego event in 2010 I have no worries it will be welcomed by a majority of participants and followed without worry.

Again, there is only a chance this will happen, but with an overwhelming majority vote why are we keeping it open when so many do not like it that way.

We wait all season to participate, to be involved, to showcase our skills, we love the honor and prestige of competition, it would be pretty sad to take a chance on "cheating" and to adorn a public embarrassment by your fellow competitors. Would you take that chance? Would you expect any competitor to take that chance, Maybe I look up to all my fellow competitors a bit too much, but as I think about my competition and what we all put forward each year I honestly can't think of a single team (and I know many) that would put their team in that position. Each and every competing team has skills to offer and a chance at glory, we wait all year for this.

Word travels fast in our tight knit group, why would someone be prompted to take that chance, even knowing down the road that the fact they cheated could possibly come out in a bar room conversation or in general chatter?

Meanwhile we are leveling out the playing field a bit, causing more teams to feel they have a better chance, makes perfect sense. I have 14 E mails so far from teams that participated in the 2009 Oswego Pro/Am, all for closing communication. I even had a phone call from a team that competed in almost every Oswego Pro/Am from inception, this until communication was opened, a team that was always a top contender, he said "Tommy, I will fish the Oswego Pro/Am again if you get the job done!"

This team captain was Captain Tony Buffa "Team Buffa" he had an excitement to his voice, I look up to Tony, I would love to compete against him. He is a great guy but feels out-matched against the many teams that have so many "outs" come tourney days with so many connections.

Tom

I am for NO COMMUNICATION. However, cell phones should be allowed to be operated for family reasons. This past Niagara event, my wife ended up in the hospital on the Sunday. Many of us have children also. The observer should be able to monitor proper cell phone usage. Team "Still No Sponsor".

I agree totally with the no communication rule. I also agree with the above post in case of an emergency. Some of us are a ways away from home and if something serious was to happen, I would like to know as soon as possible. I think that the cell phones, etc. should be collected at the start of the day and put in a container on the dash of the boat. If everyone is following the rules, the phones will not ring much. If one goes off, that person should be able to see who is calling and if it is serious, deal with that situation. Just my 2 cents.

Jeff

Tom,

I also say NO COMMUNICATION.

As far as an emergency. If someone is monitoring Channel 16 at, I will use Olcott and Wilson for example, a phone number should be given out for each Marina so family members can call, then whom ever is monitoring the radio can contact the team by radio and they can respond to the call. If they are concerned that the radio may not get the call then each captain can leave their cell number to the Marina and the marina can contact them by phone. The cell phone can be kept in the vacinity of the observer to notify the captain if a call comes in.

My $.02...... :):)

Howie

Update:

NOTE:

Concerning E Mails and the YEA or NEY vote for your team

For starters I try my best to be an honest sole, I am only counting votes for past or present Oswego Pro/Am teams, and also your team will only get 1 vote for your team, I appreciate the fact that many teams are very serious and are really for closing communication (you are preaching to the quire) but I'm not giving extra votes if you have each team member E Mail me, lol however I applaud your interest.

If a team that frequents the Oswego Pro/Am is for Open Communication I will not argue with you to change your mind, if that is your choice I do not need a reason given, I will respect your teams decision 100% and leave it at that, I assure you

Current tally from past and present Oswego Pro/Am teams

Open Communication Pro

Closed Communication Pro

Open Communication Am

Closed Communication Am

Total votes

I figure I have apporx. 100 teams to contact by some means while my drive continues, (Oswego teams past and present) we are only nearing the 25% percentile (after only a couple days)

I have received about 10 E mails concerning my drive to close communication for Oswego.

One point I find rather valid and (I feel the need to share) is how a few teams have fished the Oswego Pro/Am for repeated years till our rules were unified, then their interest tapered off and they just quit fishing Oswego. One team of which (from a valid repeated top contender no less, Bob Jordan/Jay Reed) noted how his team was not interested in the "Over-all". Keeping in mind my own personal interest (I love the over-all chase) and the fact that in the bigger picture a higher majority does not, why must the rules be unified? I do not mean to come across as hypocritical, and I also understand we will never satisfy everybody, but Bob Jordan has a very valid point in my eyes, why unify the rules to satisfy a minority? If the Oswego Pro/Am can entice more teams without unification then why stay unified? Why must we (Oswego) take the hit at the expense of losing teams...................

Tom

This is Captian Polock,buffy,speedo,hairyback, I cast my vote for a bunch of L.O.U.S.E.R.S.....IN THE AM,S.. the "NO" open com.sounds ok the cell phone box would work for emerg. i dont want everyone hearing on ch 16 that my wife called and said i forgot to bring my Xtra pack of DEPENDS and watch what i eat. :(

UPDATE:

Current tally:

NO COMMUNICATION PRO

19 current or past Oswego Pro/Am team votes

OPEN COMMUNICATION PRO

0 votes

NO COMMUNICATION AM

8 current or past Oswego Pro/Am team votes

OPEN COMMUNICATION AM

1 current or past Oswego Pro/Am team vote

Total votes

We now have 4 total Pro/Am sponsors, (includes A-TOM-MIK) all of which have played an impact concerning sponsorship (and at more than 1 level, 3 entities include sponsorship as well as involvement), who are willing to "do what it takes" to close communication for Oswego.

Progress continues: Moving rather fast at present and I am sure it will slow, but slow steady pressure to lead us to our goal is what we have in mind to close communication for Oswego

Tom

Ray,

You need to take your wiffy to a nice restaurant and hold her hand, look into her eyes and say "Honey please do not call me between 6am and 2pm unless it is an emergency" and wiffy you can call me anytime after 2pm with all the phone fun loving you want............ ;););)

The only thing that should come over Channel 16 is ....Hey Ray you harry back SOB...call you wiffy... :rofl::rofl:

Howie

Our team has been in the ProAm's for quite a few years now and we have always stated that we prefer a "NO COMMUNICATION" tournament. We feel it gives certain teams that are in "CLICKS' so to speak, a big advantage. This would help in putting all teams on a level playing field.

Tom, you have our support on this and we appreciate your bringing it up, lets hope the commitee will open their ears to this.