Oswego Pro/Am going NO COMMUNICATION

FINALLY!!!!!!!! We have grown ups listening again... :rofl: As a pro for many yrs i believe it should be the best fishing team of the two day event..Who makes the best choices who reads there water the best. who puts the best program together for two days... NOT who has the most friends they can go pull some fish from. Eyes to the east eyes to the west.. thats alot of answers in a couple of phone calls.. I think we should all stand on our own two feet alone with no cruches or handrails to hold on too.. ;) Sink or swim on your own merritt.. KEEP COMMUNICATIONS CLOSED...ALWAYS FELT THIS WAY AND STILL DO......

Just my oppinion,

Maverick

As an observer for all four Pro/Am events I found the communication between boats rather distracting. Every time the phone rings it puts the captain in second guess mode and more often than not a perfectly good program is abandoned in hopes of cashing in on the advice of the competition. Makes no sense to me why anyone would want to give away the goods. Most times it is all BS and lies anyway which in turn leads to hard feelings and strained friendships.

Get off the phone and fish!

UPDATE:

Current tally

NO COMMUNICATION PRO

21 current or past Oswego Pro/Am team votes

OPEN COMMUNICATION PRO

0 votes

NO COMMUNICATION AM

11 current or past Oswego Pro/Am team votes

OPEN COMMUNICATION AM

1 current or past Oswego Pro/Am team vote

Total votes

Update: About 97% of all recorded votes so far have went out of their way to type an E Mail or tell me in person their ultimate goal would be for ALL Pro/Am's to honor closed communication. I have tried to keep an open mind and keep my goal set for closing communication for Oswego only (for now). However one rather soft spoken phone call (from a past very long-time Oswego coordinator and participant to many Pro/Am's) noted how it would be nice to close communication for the "East end Cup" which would include Oswego and Sodus. I just wanted to note one thing: This coordinator was behind the Oswego Pro/Am since inception, working behind the scenes and also keeping a team together for around 10 years. When the rules were unified he never had even a word to say, after all his commitment and dedication he was simply told "This is how it is going to be", pretty sad in my eyes how this individual was treated, why would new coordination over-look the input this person had portrayed through his dedication. Pretty sad to me.

I will keep the ball rolling.

Tom

• 1 month later...

any updates relating to this topic? was hoping that a decision would be made prior to heading south for the winter. your commitment to this overdue discussion/desision is greatly appreciated and your support remains strong! Dave

• 2 months later...

I "observerved" for the first time last year , had a great time and learned alot.

I think the Pro/Ams is a great series of tournaments. I'm all for the NO COMMUNICATIONS rule.

It'll help level up the playing field and assure an added level of fairness.

Vic

• 1 month later...

We have fished Pro-Ams for at least 15 years, either as Outcast or TrophyTeasers.The rules back in the early 90's were great. We could never figure out why the rules are constantly being messed with. Go back to the old rules and I think a lot of the problems would be solved.

I have never fished a pro/am but I look forward to it every day, I just need to get a bigger boat and a team together and learn the rules of the lake. imho Fishing a pro/am with open communication kinda defets the competition aspect of a pro/am. I mean I see it as kinda like watching a pro football game where the coaches tell thier apponent what play the are about to run. where is the challenge? Just two cents from a newbe.

I'll see ya out there soon :yes:

too many rules on the am. side. i can understand it on the pro side. much more at stake and a whole different ball game. i like the idea of a pro/ open division format but the wannabee ams with the big egos wouldn't want to welcome the competition from us old has bens..just some "open communication" to stay on track with the topic, before i get crucified.. :D

i'm for the closed communication with one exception....my wifey-poo gets upset when she can't reach me while i'm fishing, no she doesn't call all that often but when she does it's been a death in the family,teenager in car accident or looking for instuctions on how to put a clients trophy in the freezer(taxidermist).so.. would it be possible to have our phones on while there in the box with our home phone number recorded in case of emergancy. if this will not work i guess she'll have to get over it !! hey rod i'm ready to kick some butt !!! oh by the way i'll be fishing with LUCKY-ENUFF( that is till they throw me over board) GOD bless rollie