Nigh Fishing For Salmon on LO - tackle & techniques question

wshot

I am planning to take my boat night fishing once the kings are closer to the mouth of Salmon River. I am trying to get all the gear ready. What do you guys use? Glow spoons and plugs which types/color combo? How deep do you go out and do use riggers or just flat line?

Thanks

p.

wshot,I tried it years ago out of Oswego. I had a 16ft. boat and I would go out just before dark and set up and fish two or three hours . It was kind of scary out there in the dark hopeing some drunk in a fast boat didn't run you over. The one night I did get a Salmon I was flat lining silver suttons the large size over about 60 to 80 fow. You have to use split shot to get them down a little. there was no moon so it was blacker then hell out there when a rod went off, the drag was screeming. I cleared the other line and started fight the fish. It sounded like it was all most out of line, wrong, your mind goes a little wild out there in the dark. It was a short battle , the fish swam up along side the boat and into the net. I had a nice 25lber. Infisherman said during the full moon to run J plugs on a long line and troll them down and cut the motor back and let them work back to the top and run them down again.You can change depth by using your rigger. You most likely won't get anyone to go out with you so chose a harbor with low boat traffic, not Oswego unless you get out away from shore it might be safer and don't forget to put on a pfd. Be safe and let us know how you make out.

I have went out at night and drifted around river mouths casting glo spoons, did well. I used a boat lights, LED head lamp, flasher (charges spoon), and your fishing tackle.

-7'' MH spinnging rod

-12 lb Test

-2500 series reel

-Blue glow spoon in 2/5 oz worked well

-Good landing net (I like beckman)

Good luck and Check the weather/ wave forecast

I've done the night fishing thing on Lake Michigan casting 3/4 oz. lipless crankbaits and glow spoons. It is pretty productive and alot of fun. Talk about a circus trying to land them at night! Headlamps are a must and the nice thing is you can really beef up on the line (30lb. braid) if you want to.

Have not done the night thing in quite some time, but back in the day I did it a few times and trolled the same way as during daytime hours running Glow J-Plugs #4 and #5 off the riggers down 5 - 10 ft. I stayed around the pier heads off the Genny for the most part in 18 -25 FOW . Did some nights up to 7 kings :yes::yes::clap:

Good luck and be careful !!!!