What the hell are these???

Looks like the larval stage of a fish parasite. Are those capsule looking doo dads? I think the parasite is only dangerous if ya plan on eating the fillets raw :puke: freezing or cooking above 160 degrees for at least a minute or two should render it harmless, if you are braver than I am...in other words I wouldn't eat it...give it to someone you don't like and see what happens :lol:

My grandaughter caught a mess of panfish at Wellesley island (St. Lawerence River)this summer and wanted to eat them. I was filleting them and the Perch and Small mouths were fine, but the Rock Bass had small pink larva imbedded in the fillets so I threw them out.

Didnt want those larva in my fillets.

Tapeworm.

Tapeworm found in the body cavity of carp suckers, minnows and some other fish. The fish is edible. Clean and prepare as usual.

Worm encysted on internal organs coiled like a watch spring.

Larval Roundworm.

Larval Roundworm. The fish is edible. Clean and prepare as usual.

This was what I found on a sitehttp://warnell.forestry.uga.edu/service/library/index.php3?docID=52&docHistory[]=1

Mark

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/page ... /worms.htm

This is a good explanation of the complex life cycle of parasites common in fresh water fishes. Most of these parasites are prolific among close knit fish communities where they are spawning and living in close proximity to each other.

I have found no evidence where a fish disease can be transferred to humans, and that freezing, cooking or smoking the flesh will render the offending parasite totally harmless.

Just close yer eyes and don't think about worms while you are crunching on those golden deep fried fillets :mmm:

DISCLAIMER: JUST BECAUSE IT SAID AND I REFERRED TO THE STATEMENT THAT THE PARASITES AND OTHER FISH DISEASES CAN'T BE TRANSFERRED TO HUMANS, DOESN'T MEAN YOU WON'T GET SICK FROM EATING ANYTHING YOU ARE IN DOUBT OF. (in other words if it looks like it will make you sick.....don't eat).....enjoy!!!!!!

Mark