evil yellow fruit spoils day?

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS two weekends ago i was on a freinds boat in the trench and during our initial setup we nailed a nice king while deploying our spread. We all thought at this point it was going to be a great day. Soon thereafter i saw the captian peeling and eating what i have been told is an evil yellow fruit that will jinx fishing by even saying it's name while on a boat. as no suprise, that was the last strike of the day. just wondering if others have witnessed this fishermans tale on lake "o" ??

====================

While setting lines in the spring derby on my daughter and son-in-laws boat last year, I caught a yellow steak out of the corner of my eye and then heard a splash. I said, " what? was that my bannana?' Scott said," What don't you want to catch any fish today?"Soon after the first fish was on and we landed a 17 lb. king. We went on to have a stellar day catching mostly small browns after that 1st king........ also when my daughter is on board, she cannot bring a book to read, as it has the same evil effects as the dreaded yellow fruit.

It happened to me a couple times with Bananas...no joke, First time king fishing on Lake O out of Olcott I invite a local buddy of mine who lives in the burbs of Buffalo, he meets me and my buddy who drive up from Cleveland to fish. Slow fishing and I didn't know if it was me not knowing what I was doing being very new to fishing lake O or what. So we leave the inside waters after trolling for hours, so we're in awesome bait and hooks in around 420 FOW offshore it's around lunch time and I look over and I see my local buddy scarfing down a banana...mid bite I grab it out of his hand and throw it overboard, he gives me the look of shock and horror like I raped his daughter. 10 seconds later while explaining the superstition a rigger rod goes off with a nice steelie...TOLD YA SO. He coulnd't believe it. Then on the way home we stop in PA for some food at McDonalds and in the sports section low and behold an article in the sports section about bananas in the boat while fishing...I tore it out and saved it and still have it.

Had another incident pre fishing for a big tourney 2 years ago on Erie with my same fishing buddy but this time it's with my Dad on the boat, we're walleye fishing and no walleye stink in the boat, all junk fish no eyes yet, look over after resetting my side of the boat and there's pops enjoying the yellow munchies, he had 4 of them with him!! My buddy grabs all of them and chuks them overboard, 10 minutes later we pop a 6 and 7 pounder and follow that up with 4 more fish. No I check lunches if I get a non regular on the boat....JUST in case LOL.

Another thing that triggers strikes is, being on the phone either making a call or getting a call or taking a wizz. The first trip up this year around 9:30 am, slow early morning bite no rod moving I'm standing in the back of the boat draining...Bam 19 pounder takes off on a wire...happens all the time, Hits come when you least expect it.

Superstition.....I'm a fisherman so I have to be.

My last big game trip was a Blue Marlin charter on the Big Island of Hawaii. The Captain himself inspected our bags and belongings prior to each days outing. He made no bones about making sure nobody EVER brought bananas out on his boat. Whatever the origin of the "myth" may be, some seasoned master anglers believe it to be true. That's good enough for me.

No bananas are allowed on my boats either. Gotta' go with the pros on this one.

Grady

Same thing happened to me. Took a buddy out fishing. All morning, nothing ! Around 11 am he pulls a ba@#$& out his bag. I tell him about his no no and he scarfs it down we feed the peel to the fishing gods and 1/2 hour later hook up with a nice teener king. The rest of the day went well after that. Hey, you call it superstition but we're fisherman and fishing is relies on a large percentage of LUCK so why test it ?

Don, Judith Ann II

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Gentlemen please do not take this personally but I have been fishing for WELL over 40 years as have many of you. I have fished all over NY State, Texas, the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and until I brought my Yellow bellied Boat named Bananas to the Boat Doctor in Olcott to store it for winter is when I was told that Bananas was voodoo in the waters.

Now I believe that fish depend on their site and sense of smell when feeding but I have a hard time believing that a Salmon or Trout that is 50 - 100 feet down can smell or see a BANANA and if you believe there is a force that will prohibit you from catching a fish if you have a BANANA in your boat or lunch bag.....PLEASE SEEK HELP IMMEDIATLY.. :rofl::rofl:

Catching fish in Onatario takes a small amount of luck but a huge amount of knowledge and experience. Just ask some of the newbees that could not put a fish in their box without some guidance from some of the experienced and knowledgsble fishermen on this site. I was one of those guys 5 years ago. I have yet to see anyone when helping a fellow fishermen tell them RULE ONE - DO NOT HAVE A BANANA IN YOUR BOAT, Rule two - find green water - rule 3 - Presentaion and so on... :):)

have a great day ladies and gentlemen...fish safe..take a kid fishing :yes::yes:

Howie

I'm a rookie troller and learned of this myth earlie this year. Three of us were fishing the seneca lake NLTD memorial day weekend. Two out of the three of us decided to test the theory we were sure to eat a few for breakfast. I was told not to touch, eat, or think about those lucky charms. That morning we caught 4th and 1st place browns by 7:00am. first is the hog in my avatar. 11.5 lbs Still waitng on the taxidermist. Did I mention it was my first derby and first ever brown trout. :o Now i'm hooked and have bought my own boat. I don't go fishing without eating one. :rofl:

at the risk of repeating myself

silly superstitious fishermen :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don't go there Tim :devil::lol:8)

Remember the FHC???

That had nothing to do with superstition and everything to do with me making crappy game time decisions and not going with my instincts :$:(;(:P

Tim

I too used to be supersticious but that's bad luck. Anyhow, the myth originated from the cargo ships that exported bananas, every now and then a crew member would become deathly ill on board when transporting the fruit. A venomous spider that lived in bunches of bananas was the real cause of the illness but in days of yore the witch doctor blamed the fruit. Bananas were also banned from some cultures because the women were using the fruit as a substitute companion when the men were out fishing and hunting. So don't leave any home, don't bring them fishing and don't tempt fate eat pineapples, taste better, last longer and no other uses.

hey guys.went to alaska last year to fish for salmon.....well guess what , in my lunch i had a banana and in the russian river wading went to shore to eat, i thought the guys up there were ready to drown me.they also believe in the tale of the yellow guy

then went on a charter on the kenai, guess what again my yellow snack went over board the captain said not in my boat......oh well so it goes .a tall tale or not it's out there

fshnwmn

boat name DADDYS LITTLE GIRL