Top producing set-ups for the Fingerlakes

HPORT

What is your top Downrigger combination's for putting Lakers, Bows, Browns, LL in the box?

We are new to downrigger fishing and would like to get a good assortment of Spin Doctor's, Fly's, spoons, etc... that work in the Finger Lakes. Also what leader lengths and type of leader? Vendor?

Right now we are doing ok (so,so)with our sutton, NK, and decorated sutton's, with no flasher or dodger, just a single tied to the main line, but would like to try fly's and other combination's to put fish in the box.

We did better with our Seth Green Rig's on our small boat, but the new to us boat (larger) is much more comfortable and we recognize that there are combination's out there that will really help make our trip more producing, we just need to get a few of those on the boat and I'm sure we could figure things out from there. We can mark fish, but can't seem to get them to jump in the boat...

John

If you go back through posts labeled something like "Seneca 8/30" or "Cayuga 8/28" you will get a very good idea of what guy's who are catching fish are using and at what depths,speed,presentation method, etc. Go right on back thru the whole season.

Sir if you are looking for flasher fly combos, try Spin Dr green blade with crush glow/ crush glow and green hammer fly, Spin Dr mtn. dew blade with crush glow/ crush glow and original hammer fly, green and white echip pro trolls in 8" with color matched flies, black dot or green dot white blade Spin Dr with no seeum fly or hammer fly. 5 feet off the ball, deeper set, 10 feet off the ball higher set, for instance riggers parked at 90', 80', 70', and wires at 240' and 270'. Fish may be deeper so use 12 lb or heavier rigger weights and adjust counter depth to account for blow back, experiment, drive straight to avoid tangles, turn to entice strikes, watch out for weed balls, and have fun. Oh yeah and speed up because you are probably trolling too slow once you put the spoons away and switch to flasher/ flies.

100_0593.jpg

Church Revelator and A TOM MIK Hammer Fly

DSCN2810.jpg

black dot spin dr

DSC04440.jpg

DSC04441.jpg

Everything FLXtroutman said, plus i would add some cowbell set ups to the list, the larger "beer cans" or ding-a-ling aluminum blade cowbells work good in green, with a green peanut . You can't go wrong with the suttons you mentioned earlier also. the 88's are good in the spring because they run really slow, and the 44's work well all season. Although sometimes its hard to run other rigs that work at the same speed. Alpena diamonds are a good spoon if you can find them, i believe they stopped making them though. Green is a good color 90% of the time, but purple, blue, white, and black are a good go to colors. a good selection of stick baits like thundersticks, or rapalas will help you in the spring and fall.

Seneca Marine in Watkins glen carries the Alpena Diamonds. Yellow w/ orange dots is a killer with the lakers. The rainbow one works good on LL and bows. Oh yeah what was that green, green and more green :lol: I am headed out in the Am with the fam. Been a while since I have been on the water with our Ohio trip and then an accident on the farm. Father-in-law tried to be a bullfighter and lost. He is doing better and can handle the milkin alone again so I am free :yes: Radio will be on 68. Hope to see youy out there.

Thanks much for the advice, with the cooler weather approaching we should be on the water more and will try the combos you guys have suggested. The 12lb weights are something that have been on my short list, the 8-10lb weights just don't seem to cut it. What are the thoughts on using the chrome sharks vs. plain lead sharks?

Thanks Again,

John