Cowanesque Lake (PA) for spring muskies

Anyone ever been to Cowanesque Lake just south of Corning?

I tried the Allegheny Res this spring with 'average' results for that lake (i.e. nothin :o ) so I'm going to give cowanesque a shot next spring while we wait for our season to open. its only 2 hours from Roch and is stocked with pures and tigers. :yes: Heard from some PA guys that it has 'good' numbers and came reccommended. so it should be worth the trip.

seems to have some decent structure to it, so it should be interesting...1,100 acres (waneta is 800) and a max depth of 75.

west lake map

Cow%20Lake%20West%20Depths.jpg

east lake map

Cow%20Lake%20East%20Depths.jpg

NM

Have you ever tried Cassadaga lake by Fredonia NY?

I haven't, primarily because its so close to Chautauqua that I go the extra 10 miles to 'the mecca'. I have heard its a 'confidence booster' lake because it has good numbers and odds are favorable, but that most of the fish there are rather small. I really want my 50"!

ive seen some huge i mean huge muskies down river from the dam local guys pull 40 in plus from below patterson bridge in corning (5 min from my house) but ive never targeted them did get a 30 in once bass fishing with dobsons 10 years back one came out after my lure up river and i actually steped back in terror had to be near 5 ft looked like a alagator comming to shore thats when i found out theywere in there

• 6 months later...

thought I would pull this back to the top in anticipation of the thaw. i will be there right after the thaw...after toothy season closes here that is. will be making that trip right up through mid june. gonna take it on the chin buying an annual PA license as an out of stater but I will get my monies worth! ;)

who else is dyin to hunt the mighty muskie?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

nitro- since cave run is alittle too far for me this year (sounds so tempting, throwing rattlebaits back in the hollars crash style). i think i would like to take that pa trip also. if you want another boat trying to figure things out w/ you pm me and its on. i got the fever, never went away.

bob wouldn't just let us go down and fish with out him... my bets are he could be talked into it also. doesn't sound too far. april 1st is the start? thats early!

I just got back from clayton/1000 isles......i tell ya i am phyched to fish the river!!!Rode up rt3 to 12 and down 81.1000 isle bait shop right there at rt81/and the bridge(alexandria0.They do have some musky stuff in there...had to buy something ya know!That was the only place i found for that stuff.Kinda basic stuff right now but carry some 8-10"believers,nice selection of in-line spinners & tandems(bluefox/mepps)and sell canadian licenses.

ok im going to try to scout out the lake on my way back from nj on friday and see how its looking if i can get on the road on time to swing through there before dark.gotta pull over for one conf call so far. hoping its quick and that no one else trys to pimp my program :)

in case I don't make it through in time...anyone down that way have a read on the lakes down there? they starting to thaw out yet??

well, I got a looksee on the way back, looks like a good spot, with lots of shoreline contour and some backwater areas. still iced over but I wasnt about to jump in and find out how much :lol: starting to thin out tho, so it shouldn't be more than a couple weeks. water is on the low side but should creep up after this weekends rain.

nice launch facilites in the middle on the south side, 2 ramps separated a bit apart in the same park-docks are still out of course.

easy drive from roch, NO stoplights, all expressway till the last mile (still buildling it out) and literally only 1 stop sign along the whole route from Roch to the lake, which is right at the exit, in sight of the dam.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all...I stumbled across this thread while while doing a Google search on Cowanesque Lake. I live in Greece, NY and like many of you...I am addicted to Esox 8)

I used to be a member of the board back before it changed over to the new format and haven't posted since. I usually fish Conesus, Waneta, St. Lawrence, or wherever the toothy critters are.

I have been wanting to try Cowanesque for a while now, after stumbling across an article and a stocking list of the lake online (pures and tigers, oh my!). I am planning to head down there this Saturday to check things out.

Anyway... just wanted to introduce myself and I will report back next week to let everyone know how Saturday went.

Hello Joe, Welcome Back. Always glad to see another toothy obssesion. The season os fast approaching. I am chomping on the bit to get down to Conesus for the opener of pike. Maybe we will see you on the water!

PLEASE let us know how you do!

Hey Nitro I have a lot going on right now. I would obviously love to go but....We will see.

Welcome aboard Joe - glad you decided to join in :clap::yes: I also happen to live in Greece, NY (near Long Pond).

Brad - how much is it for a PA fishin' license? Seems like a really easy drive from Rochester... :yes: Any other special regulations you know of for this lake?

Welcome aboard the crazy train joe...great to have another mind amoungst us.I will be fishing the st lawrence this year for the 1st time.Gonna do a scouting trip around the area of clayton for a launch etc, venture to 40 acre and map it out a little before season-just a cruise, pick up my canadian lisc at the 1000 isl bait shop..If you would like to divulge any info i`m listening(as well as many others :lol: ).

Indeed glad to have ya-good bunch of guys here.We are excited to get this season started.Hope ya can join us for the opener at chautauqua.

Bob s(sol)

Zach - would love to do the cave but I have a hard enough time trying to find an opportunity to use my time even when I know well in advance. save your final day and come to PA on the 16th! hit em hard-we'll be waiting for pics!

Chad- cowanesque is incredibly simple to get to...drive south, head right at the lake :lol: license fees are 35 for a week or 26 for 3 days (53 for the year).you can buy and print them online in 5 minutes. c'mon out there with us-no restrictions but definitely some different structure than the typical natural lake around here.should be good for a change up.

Joe, welcome to Toothy Addicts (not so) Anonymous! stick around and feed the habit with the rest of us addicts.drop a note if you make the trip :yes: