new guy looking for suggrstions

hello folks love the sitr..ok i am a new guy looking to get hooked on ontario i am planning a visit in the next two weeks. i would like some recomendations on where to launch to hook into some salmon i am experienced in the finger lakes but i want to take the big step i have a 22 ft cuddy with all the amenities. cannons planer mast ect. to give it a shot. everyone tells me ontario is the way to go well like i said i am going to take the plunge.any thoughts ...i know the run is about to begin and i was thinking the state park i believe selkirk. near the salmon river i am coming from pennsylvania......thanks and good fishin

yep selkirk is a good spot too stay and when you pull out of the park make a right , mikes marina is just down the road good safe place too leave the boat with good people there and gas and ice , just a sugestion. john

Tim A,

I am a Pa. boy too from the Wilkes-Barre area. I have been fishing Lake O for about 15 yrs now. Salmon and trout seriously for the last 3 years. I stay at Selkirk all the time. I was up last weekend and I will be up this weekend and next also. Try and book loop C or D. You will at least be able to see the lake and get a nice breeze also. Go online to ReserveAmerica.com to book your site. I will be at site 115 both weekends. I am there so often this summer they know me by my first name when I check in which is why I am looking for a seasonal site at a local campground for possibly next year. I have a 23' cabin cruiser at Mike's marina on the little salmon river. I would suggest that you launch from the state launch at Mexico since that will be free if you are staying at Selkirk. You can also launch from Pine grove which is closer to Selkirk, but is better suited IMO for smaller boats. I'll help you out if I can. Send me a PM if you would like.

thanks..i visited the area on sun and boy the big o is really big and seems a little scary to go out there...i will launch from mexico point on sat am...must be a rough place the attendant was telling me about fights at the launch in the morning oh boy just to catch a fish oh well let you all know how i do thanks all

Tim A,

I am actually from Kingston just across the river from you. I work in Wilkes-Barre. I will be up at Selkirk again this week from Thursday through Sunday. Stop by site 115 and introduce yourself. I will take a look at what gear you have to fish with and try and help you any way I can. I am no expert by any means but have learned a few things in the past 2 to 3 years of salmon fishing and frequenting this site. I have also been making some new friends on here as well and they are always willing to help me or make suggestions to improve my game. That's what this site is about. If not give me a shout out on Ch. 68 and I'll let you know how I'm making out and what's working. Hopefully I'll have a few in the box by then.