Downspeed is "speed at the downrigger ball" measured using a unit such as a Subtroll, Depthraider, Fishhawk etc. GPS speed is speed over ground which is very useful, but usually differs from downspeed due to currents. Make a note as to what gps speed and direction you are catching fish so you can duplicate it. Keep an eye on the angle of your rigger cables and bend in dipsey rods as these are a good indicator if there are down currents.

Shawn

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

It depends on time of year and what I happen to be pulling. I try to avoid lakers, but agree that slow wins that race. I tend to pull Spoons, Dodgers and Spinners at 2.6 to 3.0 depending on the day all summer for Bows and Salmon. Browns I tend to slow down to 2.2 to 2.6 for, especially if using planer boards and sticks. This time of year, I step it up to 2.8 to 3.2, lose all but the fastest running spoons (NK Mags) and most dodgers and sub in Plugs to run with Spinners for Kings.

I have also been known to play with the throttle after watching a video 15 years ago showing Kings in Alaska trailing lures for quite some time. I tend to 'bump down' .5 MPH every so often looking to make the lure act erratic and run the fish up into the lure and have on occasion had a big hit immediately upon the bump. Does it work? Who is to say...wonder if others do it at all?