Lake Ontario smallies by kayak and an unwanted catch...

Fishing Report

Your Name / Boat Name: Malibu Kayaks Stealth 14

==============

TRIP OVERVIEW

==============

Date(s): 4 Sep 2009

Time on Water: 5 hrs

Weather/Temp: Sunny 70s

Wind Speed/Direction: W-NW

Waves: Rolling

Surface Temp: 72

LAT/LONG (GPS Cords):

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits:

Total Boated: 16

Species Breakdown: 15 Smallmouth Bass, 1 Round Goby

Hot Lure: 3" Tube

Trolling Speed:

Down Speed:

Boat Depth:

Lure Depth: 15-20 ft

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

My son (YakViper) and I headed out early Friday morning to meet a friend of ours (Jude) for a morning of kayak fishing out in Lake Ontario. "Big water" fishing in deeper water is something fairly new to me and I have only fished out in Ontario a few times with limited success on my own. We were really excited to be going out with someone who knew the location and how to fish there.

The weather was sunny and a steady northwest breeze got the water rolling pretty good. Water temps at the surface was ~72 degrees. We found fish closer to the bottom in 15-20 ft. YakViper and I had success with tubes and Greg caught them on a fly rod and sinking line with a fly of his own creation that works well on Lake Ontario which he calls "Little Brown Turd".

We caught fifteen smallies in about five hours of fishing. Most were "cookie cutter" 12"-13" bass, but I managed to get a nice 18". My first catch of the day was unexpected and unwanted - a Round Goby caught on a tube (re-hooked backwards to hold up for photo).

The big rolling waves actually made for more fun than originally expected and fighting Lake Ontario smallies from deep clear water was a blast! They were real fighters!

IMG_0506.jpg

YakViper ready to go!

IMG_0510-1.jpg

Our knowledgeable Lake Ontario Yakfishin' guide for the day, Jude holding up a Lake Ontario smallie.

Paulsmallie.jpgTypical sized bass for the day. They fought like 5lbers though!

IMG_0504.jpg

My first and unwanted catch of the day, a round goby - scourge of Lake Ontario since its confirmed discovery in Lake Ontario in 1998.

AlSMB.jpg

Paul18.jpg

Nice 18" Lake Ontario smallmouth bass.

Pauls18incher-1.jpgClose-up.

AP3.jpgAnother father-son fishing adventure under our belts! Canada is out of sight somewhere behind us...

Nice report Paul. It was a good day fishin' with you guys.

Kliph, I recommend a sit-on-top for safety reasons. If you happen to fall out of a SOT, you can flip it back over and climb back in. I have practiced this on my Liquid Logic Manta Ray 14 (now branded as Native Watercraft Manta Ray) and it is pretty easy. A flipped over sit inside kayak fills with water and is a real challenge to get back in. Plus, SOT kayaks are available with plenty of dry storage areas.

Jude

That looks like fun.

I see everyone has a "sit on top" yak.

I have been thinking of getting myself one.

I can't decide if I want a sot or a sit in side.

Or what size or make.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Kliph

Sit on tops are probably your best choice for fishing platforms in larger bodies of water unless you plan on paddling a looooooong way and carry very little fishing equipment (one or two rods with small amount of tackle) or just want something light and small for quickie fishing in ponds. Most major kayak manufacturers are catering to anglers in a huge way and vast improvements have been made over the last couple of years. Instead of recreational kayaks with just a rod holder added on, kayaks are being designed and built for specific fishing applications - many are even stable enough to stand on for sight-fiishing, including the Malibu Stealth 14 that I paddle. More and more models are equipped with integrated electric trolling motors powered by next-generation lightweight batteries.

As a Pro-Staff Member of Team Malibu Kayaks, I'm biased towards my company, but my association with this company came about because I sought out the best kayaks to fit my physique and style of fishing. My Malibu Stealth 14 has a capacity of over 600lbs which is more than plenty to carry myself and lots of fishing gear depending upon the water conditions.

I recommend a sit on top that is a minimum of 12 ft in length if you are planning on going out on larger bodies of water like Lake Ontario or even coastal saltwater, but a 13-15 ft would be preferable. Get a kayak that fits you and your most common style of fishing. If you are a kayaker and plan to only occasionally fish from one, you might want a lighter and narrower model. If you want to puddle jump, a smaller recreational-sized kayak might do.

I encourage you to visit a local kayak shop and try out a few demo models before you decided to make a purchase to get something that you know you will like. Once you find the one that you like, don't be afraid to ask for a better deal than what the dealer has for his listed price.

Good luck!

-Paul

Great report and pictures. Can't wait to hear about the 25lb King you hook into and you will be in Canada in no time. :rofl:
If I see a gren streak going toward Canada I assume its you hooking a big king and I will try to run ya down before ya get to the boarder. I have hooked salmon in a canoe and my buddy and i got taken for a hundred yard ride before we landed him.

:D:D:D Some folks I know catch billfish, tarpon, and sharks from kayaks. I look forward to the day I hook into a big salmon - hopefully this season. ;)

Here's an example of what you can do from fishing kayaks...

"just want something light and small for quickie fishing in ponds."

That's what I was thinking.

I have the boat for the lake/river.

I wanted something to start out with.

I have a canoe, but it's too big for one person to load and unload.

But I could always upgrade to a bigger yak.

I was looking for a used one for a starter.

Thanks, Kliph

Good to hear you did well. Albies and stripers are hot right now but I want to tear away and head out your way soon, waiting on my replacement hull from Hobie should be here this week(fingers crossed) lets hook up and go after some kings! :yes:

rye1.jpg