Yankee's 9/5-9/6 Report from the Oak

9/5 (Mornin') - This morning we did a little Derby fishing (LOC). My father, Uncle, Brother, and I hit the water about 6:30. We dropped in around the 70' mark and started deploying lines. We ran a simple 3 rigger, 2 wires,and 3 junk line spread. The morning would be very disappointing yet eventful! We went on to drop our first 7 screamers! Actually one happened to be a Stealhead in the 12-15lb mark, but the rest bent our hooks while tearing line from our reels! Finally, at 1pm we would go on to boat a 5" Salmon while checking lines. Shortly there after our 300 copper rod took off with a Green E-Chip pulling an A-TOM-MIK Green Crinkle. That would be our first REAL fish to hit the deck this morning. We took shots on a Dreamweaver Green Mongoose plug, Green SmartFish pulling an A-TOM-MIK Hypnotist, Mtn. Dew E-Chip pulling an A-TOM-MIK TG fly, White SmartFish pulling an A-TOM-MIK White Halo, and a Slippery Frog Spinny pulling an A-TOM-MIK Purple Mirage. Riggers parked from 50 to the bottom, wires out from 150-210 and 10 color cores, 300 copper, and a 400 copper all took shots. We finished at 2pm with 10 shots.

DSCN0179.jpg

DSCN0180.jpg

9/5 (Evening) - My brother, his buddy Adam, my girlfriend, and I headed back out at 3:30pm and fished till 8pm. It was an exciting few hours to say the least. We would take 7 shots and boat 6 of them. The largest being just shy of 29lbs. We hit a double off our riggers shortly after we started trolling. One took a Mtn. Dew E-Chip pulling an A-TOM-MIK TG fly, and the other took a Green SmartFish pulling an A-TOM-MIK Hypnotist. Our next double would come from the 300 copper pulling a Green E-Chip/A-TOM-MIK Green Crinkle and the same Green SmartFish pulling an A-TOM-MIK Hypnotist. During this battle we tried to clear the 400 copper down the chute only to have it wad up in our double. While we were playing with that mess the 180 wire took off pulling a Green SmartFish/A-TOM-MIK Green Crinkle. We would boat 2 of the 3 fish. The next two fish would take the 300 copper and that Green E-Chip/A-TOM-MIK Green Crinkle combo. A fun night with some great fish!

DSCN0182.jpg

DSCN0185.jpg

DSCN0186.jpg

DSCN0190.jpg

9/6 - With the anticipation of that morning bite we left the dock a few ticks before 6am. We set up in 70' of water and all I could get was 6 rods in the water before we had our first big guy on. He took a LJ Green Glow J-Plug fished of our 10 color. While that fish was out there our 150 wire pulling a Green SmartFish/A-TOM-MIK Hypnotist starts throbbing. We're doubled! We ended up loosing the fish on the J-Plug, but boated the small guy off the wire. Got set back up with 7 rods in the water and the Green Smartfish on our corner rigger took a shot. It had an A-TOM-MIK Hypnotist behind it. As that one was making his run the other 10 color with that same J-Plug takes off. We're doubled AGAIN! We ended up dropping both.Get set back up and the other corner rigger fires. This guy had some shoulders! He hit a Mtn. Dew E-Chip pulling an A-TOM-MIK TG fly. Shortly there after we were clearing a 10 color when on the retrieve a Salmon Whacks the J-PLug. Thinking we were tangled in the fish on we let it go on a light drag. Well, it was a different fish and we would end up loosing that! Almost to the boat and the center rigger fires with a Dreamweaver Slippery Frog pulling an A-TOM-MIK Purple Mirage. Finally we boat this bruiser and its a PIG! We put it on the Berkley scale and it bounces between 31 and 32. Everyone is High-Fiving! Thinking the scales opened at 8am and it was 7:40am we headed for the weigh station. Well, it didn't open till 9am! So we sat for an hour during a fast and furious bite. When the fish hit the scales we put a 31.14lb Salmon on the LOC leaderboard! Now its 9:30 and we are headed back out to the lake. We took 7 shots in an hour and a half, and had a great anticipation of what else was to come. Even though we knew it would be tough to top a 31lb Salmon. Once we set-up it didn't take long and we were into another fish. In the next hour we would boat one and drop 2 Salmon. After that we wouldn't move a rod the rest of the trip.

DSCN0195.jpg

DSCN0206.jpg

31.14lbs was what the derby scales said HE weighed! This fish happens to be the largest fish to hit the deck of our boat in 10 years. A true TROPHY, and its what we look forward to catching this time of year. Fall fishing can produce some GIANT fish, but it is also a time when the Salmon get moody while they await their trip up the creek or river.

Reeljerks - I wish this one was going on my wall, but it looks like someone else will have it to look at. This guy has never fished before, so I hope he appreciates it!

Kremor - Not my bank! It was a charter fish. At least they got their derby ticket money back!

John - Riiiiiiiiiiight! Big Weenies! We haven't had to run any copper over 400' so that wouldn't be too much punishment. Ill bring him down to the bar next spring and let him reel one in on the 700 copper!