tips from conesus regulars in the fall

I'm from Rochester, NY and have fished Conesus several times in my life. Most recently when I was home on leave in July (I'm in the Marine Corps, currently in Jacksonville, NC). I caught my first ever Tiger Muskie in Conesus while I was home, but only 22" and lost one that was a bit bigger. I'm coming home in mid october and want to get out and try for some big pike and tigers. I was wondering what lures you guys use in the fall, what depths, and what areas. I was fishing the north end, I have heard the east side of the lake between 2 points(names slip my mind) is good. Most of my lures are large Bucktails, and a few big cranks. I use a 7ft Heavy spinning rod with 220yds of 30 lb spider stealth.

Hey fat tommy...first and foremost,thanks to you and the many others for your service.(sent you a pm)

Now about conesus,i`ll try and help a little(don`t fish it much).I run med to deep divers along the weed edges primarily along the eastern shoreline(firetiger work well as do many others).I`ll also run 3/4-1oz spinnerbaits(blk or white) down them as well letting the flutter down a spell and vary retrieve .Another lure i like is the little ernie in walleye pattern.I to will cast and also troll with them(75'back along edge).Early morning is a good time for some topwater action with a spook over the weeds,start right out of the launch to your left and right and work those points.All coves will produce for you.You`ll get several ideas from many people,mine is only one opinion.North end is good...i`ve done well this past spring mostly on suckers rigged with a quick strike rig(northwest corner 17'zone and southend)).This i do while i`m casting.I`m sure this will work during the fall.Sooo...what i will be doing this fall there..5-6"cranks along the break(cast and troll),poes giant jackpot over weeds and a spinnerbait at dusk!Hope it helps :yes:

Cya

Bob S

PM'd you back.

I'm guessing the fish start moving into the 12 ft or less range around then? The water should be fairly cool come mid october, it's a shallow lake. I'm thinking about buying some good top waters. Phantom makes one called the Viper and it has absolutely raving reviews.

Here is one from tonight. My friend caught this one while flipping the weeds in 12 fow for bass. They have been pretty active lately. Any of the weedlines near deep drops will produce fish. Old Orchard, McPherson, and Long points are good places to concentrate. We took this guy on the edge of the drop off near Camp Stella Maris.

danspike.jpg

Outstanding fish. I'm hoping to hook into some at least that size. How are the Tiger Muskies in terms of numbers and size in comparison to the pike in Conesus? I hooked one about 6" shorter than the fish in the picture and broke him off on the hookset.

If you have a car top boat that can be hand launched Lime Lake has 45"+ Tiger Muskies! They have been growing over the years because on next to no fishing pressure due to lack of regular boat access.The locals don't fish for them that much.

Capt. Larry D. Jones

Repeatability Is 90% Of The Hunt!

If you have a car top boat that can be hand launched Lime Lake has 45"+ Tiger Muskies! They have been growing over the years because on next to no fishing pressure due to lack of regular boat access.The locals don't fish for them that much.

Capt. Larry D. Jones

There should be a public launch just down the road from Lime Lake Marine. My dad bought a boat there 2 years ago and they dropped it in the lake for a test run. If i remember correctly the launch put you in a small canal that brings you right out on the lake. It was a 23' boat so no one should have problems launching there.

The Launch is owned by the Lime Lake Landowners Assoc it is Closed to the Public,you have to be a member ,own property on the lake or live in Machias,NY to get a key to the gate.The only Public Launch is the NY DEC Cartop carry in launch!

Capt. Larry D. Jones

www.mostlymuskies.com