The 2nd place Salmon that wasn't

Heres a picture of the Salmon we took Saturday night August 31st.

The fish hit a wire rod running a Chartruse e-chip and ultra green glow Atomic fly at just about 7:30 pm. We had 150 feet of wire out and was just about 600 feet after his first run. We gained about 3 1/2 cranks of the reel and he went another 150 or so. Needless to say it was a rather long battle and we netted him at 7:45. We were about 4 miles out and there was no way we could make it to any weigh station by 8:00.

When I saw the fish about 30 feet of the back of the boat my heart went up into my throat and I told my brother in law, who was on the rod, thats just a baby for christ sakes bring him to the boat so I can net him. That completely put my brother in law at ease and he got him through the spread without any incidents. When I got the net around the fish I told him Holy _hit wait till you see the size of this fish.

Anyway he was thrilled and could hardly talk when I brought that net into the boat.

I hung him from the 30 lb Boga and it bottomed right out. I then put him on my digital and it was bouncing between between 33 lbs 8 ounces and 35 lbs 8 oz. Fish went into the box and we headed in. At the dock I weighed him on the digital again and it was bouncing between 33 lbs 15 oz and 34 lbs 1 oz. Thats the most accurate weight we got on the fish before he went under the knife.

Sure was depressing cutting that fish up knowing he would have been leading the derby at that point but he gave up a couple nice fillets.

Heres a picture of the brute.

Glen

24143450.th.jpg

nice fish Glenn! sorry to hear that. we just made it in the other nite with 15 minnutes to spare. the time to wiegh in should be changes to at least 9pm. you still alot of fishing light out there and like you if you do get one there is now way to get it in on time. sorry about the other day in the waves, we doubled up and there was just my nephew and I on the boat, the waves turned us. we dumped both of them too one right at the net. keep up the great work!

No problem Jeff. I saw what happened to you and had Kelly turn away to port when I saw you had a fish on. Nice job on your LOC fish too. Why didn't you zip in to the salmon river and weigh at the light house?

It sucks about not weighing in but those are the rules. Everybodys on the same clock. I got to get it done earlier next year. LOL. See you up there.

Glen

Glen, beautiful king. Again I have said it many times the last 4-5 years that this the reason the cutoff needs to go to 9:00 p.m. for the Fall LOC only- It happens more than one would think. Just happened to my good friend 2 years ago at the Oak. I know Eric and Rick popped big guys early over the weekend and waited til 9:00 a.m to weigh them in. I really have no problem with the start time for that gives the fisherman the first few hours to fish then pop lines and run in to be there at the opening. But when the kings become active towards evening-plus throw in the safety factor, it should be seriously considered of moving it back 1 hour.-Maybe the voice of the LOU would prompt this change using this thread as an impetus ? --Glen- you in for the change? Duane

Glen id say nice fish but you always do well and get nice fish..For a guy from red sox country you do pretty good.(yankee fan here). now what i dont understand after my recent trip to cape cod ,why in the world dont you go after those 40"plus strippers in the bay and ocean in june off the cape and in the bay?? Next year im planning a trip up there in june if your interested, might have to drag my tin can up there and i might even give those tuna a cast or two...sorry i digressed,anyway ive always said if anyone pre regesters for the whole season (3)or season derby they should be able to fish whenever and take the chance of weighing the fish in the next day,i love the evening bite and with a bonus of seeing one of the best sunsets and sometimes moonrise , i find myself on the water near the "deadline" a lot. OK great fish too!!

Chowder. Thanks for the Arrrgh.

Jeff. See you in the spring.

Duane. I would go for a 9:00 pm dead line if it could be done without losing weigh stations. If I remember correctly this was the issue in the past.

Ray. I caught them big strippers and I prefere the battle of a big ole King. Also hate the maintanence involved with the whole saltwater thing.

Rodney you got a pm.

Heres a picture of a happy brother-in-law with the fish just out of the water.

48634915.th.jpg

Regardless...that's a beauty Glen! Sorry it came late, but rather catch it late than not catch it at all ;) Great fish!! Doesn't look like I'm gonna get back to the big O this season, so congrats on a great season and we'll see ya at the bar next spring :yes:

Also, I gotta agree with you on the sripers. I mean, they're fun and all, but IMHO hey don't hold a candle to a mature Chinook. I fish for them once the kings are done. We'll be doing it again this fall Ray.....give me a shout :yes: