my trailer cross member is cracked

SinDale

I do custom weld for a living. As long as the metal is in good shape it should be able to be welded. Take it to someone that knows what there doing though. Have them do a V-grove on each side and weld it then I would recommend plating it for extra strenght. If it broke there once it will prob break there again if its not plated.

Thanks guys! I'll look into the gussets anyways then... I'd rather go overboard than not far enough and have it done again in 3 years. Problem I think I'll have is that it rusted through on the bottom (hence the loss of integrity) which if I'm not mistaken, would need to be cut out to get clean material to weld to. Moto21, do live near Rochester at all? Otherwise I'll look up ProTech.

Sorry Im in Pa. Have them cut out all the rust cancer and repair it and plated while there. Also paint it once welded so it lasts. Cant tell you how many things I fix then see it a month later rusted solid because they didnt paint it. Im to the point where all repairs get painted before they leave the shop, color mathing or not.

with all said above being of good advise ,I might suggest you start looking for a dual axil trailer for that size of boat i ant no expert buy my last boat had a single axil trailer and at 65,70 mph you better have both hands on the wheel my bigger boat with dual axil can go down the road at 75 all day and no ill effects are felt in the wheel or vehicle (well i gotta stop for gas on ocassion) even if the trailer is rated for your boat its gotta be pushing it a tad ,plus the next rusted or weak spot ant gonna show up in the driveway ,it will happen on a well planed trip with 3 friends looking forward to a day of fishing ,not sitting along the road guarding your boat when you go for help....plus they might make a "tackle sale" sign while your gone and buy beer.

true that Ray! If I was employed right now I'd invest in a new trailer without flinching! I'm gonna see if I can put a band-aid on it this year and be on the search in the spring for a double axle like your saying. Next is finding a slip I can use in Monroe County for a few days while i get the trailer fixed...

• 2 weeks later...