Fishing Trips 2 and 3 Cayuga

Sorry to be slow, but back to work Monaday afternoon, not by choice.

We got out of Deans Sunday by 10 am, a little better than the first trip, and cruised south of Sheldrake. For some reason the GPS would not start up for about an hour, so we were guessing speed. About noon Spencer brought in this Laker, her belly had her looking like a Jersey ready to drop twins, (ask Chowder, he'll understand). Even though he loves to eat fish, Spencer was not so sure about putting this egg laden female on the table, so we snapped a photo and let her go. She is our first downrigger fish as I spent part of Saturday installing the 2 used manual Cannons I picked up. Took a blue dolphin NK spoon, (thank you Billy V, BassPro has glow frog too), set at 100 feet.

Hit Kidder's landing for lunch by 1, then tubed the rest of the afternoon.

I was geeked up that if we could get out early Monday we might get more than 1 fish. Bad idea!! The family was up and we launched by 8:30, (a little better), but the South breeze had put some chop on the water. My wife and 2 kids were green, the GPS again would not start to read anything, so it was going all wrong...we quit after about an hour. With school back in session, wee may be taking a couple weeks until we hit it again, but bit by bit we may be getting a little smarter. I was happy to know we could run two riggers and 2 Dipseys and not have four lines wound up in a ball!

Greg

72611776.th.jpg

Well done.

Throw in one lead core and that is the program we have been running on lake O.

I'm on the trollling learning curve as well. Just bought 2 black rigger release (a must have!). nect will be 2 atomik torpedo weights to get the riggers to track better.

Keep it up. If you hit Cayuga again this year I suggext the Taughannock stretch at this time of the year.

Lavarock

Greg, I can't tell you why the unit takes so long to get a signal, but I can't see how it would drain your battery to turn it on an hour> departure, unless the battery is whipped. Post the GPS issue on "This Old Boat" forum w/ the model #, etc. (hope you are getting in some archery practice what with all this fishing & rigging going on ;) )

Thanks Dan. The receiver is mounted on the Walkaround rail, no obstructions really. Each time I start the unit up it picks up 3-4 satellites quickly, but then takes forever to get more, and then get working.

Back in the late 80's we rented from Steve Trumbull up on Card Rd. in Freeville. Is that your neck of the woods?

Lavarock, what are black rigger releases? Are you using the lead core off a planer?

Andy, your right, time to get the compound out...I don't want to whiff on a 15 yard shot!!

Greg

Copy that ... not sure what might be causing the problem. Yeah that's my neck of the woods. I live on the other side of RT 13 actually north of the V. of Freeville. That's funny ... Trums was my 10th grade biology teacher (in the mid 80's), I still see him once in a while, hunted with him once or twice as a kid.