LOC Derby fishing.

I just read a report of a possibly 2nd place salmon taked on an evening trip with not enough time to weigh it in. I know it is in the rules but, It just is not right that, that salmon could not be weighed in the next day, I mostly fish evening trips and alot of the fish are caught in that last half hour of light. We Took a steelhead off braddocks on fathers day that would have been a 2nd place fish, the fish hit at 8:30pm. I would Gladly sacrifice a couple ounces a fish would loose over night if I could weigh it in the next day. Just my 2 cents Bill.

Bill. please see my response to the very thread you speak of. There are some who have posted here for quite a while that think you can box it and have it weighed the next morning. Not true- But I want to give plenty of Kudos to Dave and all those who are involved in any way, shape, or form to help put this derby on. But again, as I made mention, those targets boated after app. 7:30 p.m. are all for naught. That is one of the reasons we pull lines on occasion at that time due to there is absolutely no way that one can hook up, fight the target, then get back to the weigh station in time for the cutoff at 8:00- I mentioned to Glen-Spoonfed- about moving the cutoff back an hour, and he is correct in saying that at one time there was concern about the "possibility" of losing weigh stations if this went into effect. Being self employed and being a businessman myself, if I were a weigh station I would be pulling for this change to 9:00 p.m. My father always said that you have to make the hay while the sun is shining. To think that these stations can't stay open for 1 additional hour ( during the Fall LOC) is beside me. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know how many at the campground I spend my time, mention about how good it would be if even 1 station per port would remain open til 9:00 if for nothing else to replenish things needed for the next mornings' trip. I can only imagine the amount of money these places ( tackle shops) are losing by closing at 8. Especially when the sun sets sometimes well after that. So in closing, I have been fishing the ESLO and LOC's almost since their very inception. At one time the carry over to the next day was allowed. The bottom line- now from what I understand- is that you can't weigh a fish in after 8 p.m caught on that day. But if you fish at 12:01 a.m and boat a target, and stay on the water you can weigh it in at 9:00 a.m. So you have a 4 hour span on any particular day that your fish won't count. Make sense? That's what I'm still asking myself. But in saying that, I will fish these til the day they bury me. Just my suggestion on making an event a better one in my opinion. -Duane

Well if Duane feels it important or notable enuf i'll repete my thought .If you pre regester for all 3 derbys or preregester for the season(spring or summer ,or fall) derby it would be nice to fish whenever you want and take the risk of weighing in the fish in the morning.. last weekend in mexico bay when my son and i came in (sunday) the parking lot was still full of trailers and the lake was almost as full as a morning launch. For those of us who can choose our days (nice weather) we can get a satisfying day on the water tho the sunsets keep me there till then. But for the people who plan vacations to be meet with a windy day can sometimes sneak a few hours of precious derby time late in the day as the wind usually settles down at that time. there ant nuttin worse than sitting in the parking lot looking at 6ftrs after planning a vacation all year. I.m relativly new at the loc's so i dont know the reason why the rules were changed over the years so as i type this I dont mean to offend anyone who is involved with this derby as it must be a challange to keep it going from year to year. ..>.....BUT! with that said i have never had the good fortune to attend the awards ceromony so i dont know what goes on with todays technolgy but a nice online photo ,info,ect ect.. also everyweighin station must of made enuf from the derby to offer a nice 1or 2 hundred dollar (gift package) for raffles or door prizes ,I understand in the old days many large donations were made including boats , Ill bet due the the info shared on this site about ,down speed,autopiolets,tackle,ect,ect has added hundreds of thousands if not million of dollars into the fishing manufactuare industry.....many have admitted whats wire,or a dypsy,or a spindocter..ect.ect. that are now must have items on there boats..MAYBE THE LOU (US) COMMUNITY COULD DO A ACCURATE POLE AND LIST OF WHAT WE BOUGHT DUE TO THIS SITE AND INFO SHARED AND DO OUR PART OF SENDING A LIST TO THE MANUFACTUARS FOR A LITTLE ADDED ENCOURAGMENT TO DONATE TO THE PRO/AMS OR THE LOC DERBYS OR OTHER DERBYS ON THE LAKE...ok im putting my arm down thank you...

MAYBE THE LOU (US) COMMUNITY COULD DO A ACCURATE POLE AND LIST OF WHAT WE BOUGHT DUE TO THIS SITE AND INFO SHARED AND DO OUR PART OF SENDING A LIST TO THE MANUFACTUARS FOR A LITTLE ADDED ENCOURAGMENT TO DONATE TO THE PRO/AMS OR THE LOC DERBYS OR OTHER DERBYS ON THE LAKE...ok im putting my arm down thank you...

That's pretty funny. I spent about $300 on stuff this past week based upon what I read on here. Funny thing is, I may not even be able to get out on the Lake until next year. But, Hopefully I'll be ready :)

The problem is that you can register for the derby until 7 AM and fish that day. The rule is in place to prevent someone who is not in the derby catching the fish at 8:30 PM, going home, registering for the derby, then taking it to weigh in.

I too have been fishing the derby since the ESLO days and would love to see that rule changed. When you buy the "season pass" you should be able to weigh in the following day; as long as your witness is with you.

Becuase of this rule, we never fish after 7:30 PM becuase I would go CRAZY catching a derby fish and not being able to weigh it in. As a result, we miss some of the best fishing of the year.

Ray, thanks for the sentiment. I just feel that is one rule ( Fall cutoff moved to 9:00) I would like to see be considered in changing. Just a couple years ago Mark-ReelJerks- wrote about changing the rules to include the boat names whether be it charter or rec to be on the board postings. It was then added and that was for the betterment of the derby I.M.O.-I like to view and see whose name I recognize. As far as some saying its a long day- most if not all shops are now having hired help to offset the hours required, let alone some now are not opening at 6:00 as mentioned but waiting an additional hour til 7:00 a.m to open. I agree with Ray as well if you buy the entire package deal ( all 3 derbies) prior to the start of the derbies themselves then you should be allowed to carry over to the next day. That would be somewhat of a compromise here, where some of these targets could then be considered. If enough of us would voice our opinion then maybe the powers to be would reconsider this one change.--Duane