found this web surfin

HOLY DIVER

95% of them look like our mature Land locked Kings here in California. A monster on Shasta Lake might go 8 lbs this year. A few 6lbers have come up in the last couple weeks with full mature eggs like they would have in the rivers and off the coast. The Juvenal are a lot easier to catch. The bad thing is salmon are one of the hardest to survive catch and release.

I gues the 3 fish limit on ontario ant such a bad thing. Stan a properly revived salmon will swim away just as well as any other. In the past ive spun around more than once to a belly up fish,only to have the fish take off like a rocket as the boat approaches. Thats why anymore i dont use the net as soon as i unhook the fish they just dive away..now saying this most big boats (inboards)are too far outof the water to handline the last few feet, so a net is nessary..thats another reason to use heavy line 15 to 20 lb test to get the fish in as fast as possable.

There's a fairly prevalent attitude on Lake Michigan to kill every salmon they catch to try and get the alewife numbers up in that lake. Don't forget that with 4 different states bordering and stocking Lake M, they get a hell of a lot more fish stocked every year than Lake O does, pluse a fair amount of natural repro to boot. Lots of Lake Michigan guys sig lines on GLA saying "save an alewife, kill a salmon".

It wasn't all that long ago that a typical mature 4yo king in Lake Michigan was a 12-15 lb fish (guys on the GLA board regularly refer to a 12 lb king as a "nice one" or a "big king"), and now for the first time in almost a decade, they've seen decent numbers of 20 lbers and even a few 30 lbers this year, so maybe it's working. Those racks of fish are probably primarily 3 YO 8 lbers, which would be 18-20 lb fish on Lake O.

Not saying I agree with the attitude, but who knows, maybe lots of harvest is what THAT lakes needs to thrive in the current environmental conditions.

Coorection, looking at the pics again, at least the top ones from May, those are mosly cohos, the spring coho action in southern Lake Mi is just crazy from what I understand.

Tim

Ok Jammer spill yer guts ,where ,what , and how fast ??? Few years back 200 cohos a season was norm ,last year i did 5 not five hundred but 5 cohos, this year i doubled that in one spring trip by noon and have had a few but cant seem to find many matures this summer on till now... even the normal coho rig has been silent ! probly will head to the oak tomorrow so if ya got a hint ill take it... Thanks.

Hey Ray,

I'm not saying I catch many hoes on O, but I think some of those Lake M charters like to find a school and load up the boat with them when they're hitting the little orange dodgers and cheddar flies. (Lots of those rigs in the pictures...)

JAM