Tying snap swivel on wire

That last link is the way to go, crimps are a horrible idea for a wire knot but if it works for some then so be it. The wireline knot doubles on itself and is easy to tie within seconds. I dont trust crimps on anything anymore. I use that wireline knot to terminate my downriggers also and my connection to the swivels on my planer board mast. Never had an issue.

been roling with the barrels for 3yr on the wire if it ever brakes maybe ill try an knot , but correct me if i"m wrong , Don't knots make weak spots in your line ?

not that knot, at least not that anyone has ever experienced and there's a ton of us running it. Crimps absolutely DO create weak spots though IMO.

Tim

gonna side with Tim on this one... I have have lost rigger balls before right at the crimp.. not only are you squishing the braid but your also creating a flat piece of metal that touches the line at 2 points (top and bottom of the crimp) for every crimp. Over hand loop it, pass the loop throught the eye of the snap, and drop it though the loop

Tim, Thanks for getting back to Motoman- I missed this thread.

Crimps will create weak spots in your line, unfortunately. When I first got my down riggers they were done with crimps and yes I also lost cannon balls at the crimps due to pinching the cable and breaking right at the crimps.

IMO -- If done correctly that knot will never break on you unless its due to user error.

your going too like this one , reason i think i have had good luck with the crimps is i kind of used the knot set up in the mix of it , slide crimps on and up the main line , then i have the main line ran though the swivel two time's , then ya thread the two line's two gether pull tite and crimp, reason being this works for me is the double wrap around the swivel take's all the heat on the strike of a fish , ya i could see failure with crips if there was no raping of the swivel ! just pull though after awhile and bye bye dipsy ,flasher,fly but if done right this has proven too work as good as any , Also the same rapping of line on the swivel should be done should you you's crimps on your downrigger or yes you will drop your weight's sooner or later . all good info in here