Downrigger Cable of choice

DEFIANCE1

Im looking to purchase new downrigger cable for my 4 cannon downriggers. When looking at fish307, i noticed you can buy cannon, scotty, walker and a couple other brands of cable, they are all 150lb test. Just wondering if there is really a difference in quality between the different brands because they are priced differently. Originally i was going to just buy the cannon stuff but if the others are the same i might as well buy the less expensive ones.

• 4 weeks later...

I need to pick up some coated cable and I use 15 pound round balls but I'm going to get some sharks ( maybe just 1 for probe rigger not sure yet), just aquired a Moore Sub Troll so need to get coated cable for my Vector riggers. Any suggestions on Coated Cable for pulling heavy weights. 150 or 200 pound? Or brand where do you guys get yours>

Thanks

• 2 months later...
Any thoughts on using the 150# power pro braid?

Bob my friends in Oregon that got on that craze a couple years have all pulled it off. In the winter when temp are below 20, they ice up real band and impossible to get all back on the spool at times.

Stan , the braid is supposed to eliminate downrigger cable (hum) , and decrease blowback.

I've been thinking about using it ;). I dont run riggers during the Winter months much.

I wonder how the fleas affect it though.

I'm pretty sure there's some guys on this site that use it , maybe they would chime in :)

• 2 weeks later...

my buddy and i have switched to the power pro, and although i have not been out with it yet, he loves the fact that theres no hum, as well as we are on a small boat with smaller riggers so we only use 12 lb sharks, the only two times he was out only caught one or two fish off the riggers but that was because the dipsey bite was hot! if i was running 20lb balls i prob would not go with it.